Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Tonytoned »

Phil Arnott wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am I was going to set up a display of old lures and collected a few interesting ones but in the end I just used the spoons in the display so I now have these left. I could set them up but I haven't got any available wall space to display them.

The lures I've deliberately collected are the ABU lures as many are no longer made and they were very good quality at the time.

Superb collection Phil. I'm trying to collect ABU fishing tackle and a have a few bits already. Thank you for sharing

:Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Gord wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:07 pm I too have an interest in older lures but I prefer american wooden lures as they can be fished or just collected as small works of art even now I still buy the odd 1 or 2 and I am not afraid to use or loose them
I must say Gord I have to agree. Some many different bait company's in the early days. The whole American antique fishing tackle scene is superb and very interesting.

:Hat:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Phil Arnott wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am I was going to set up a display of old lures and collected a few interesting ones but in the end I just used the spoons in the display so I now have these left. I could set them up but I haven't got any available wall space to display them.

The lures I've deliberately collected are the ABU lures as many are no longer made and they were very good quality at the time.

Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing page 37. Very nice Phil.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Fredline wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:33 pm Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing page 37. Very nice Phil.
Well spotted! I was actually inspired by that picture and tried to collect similar plugs. Such an evocative picture.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Tonytoned I have a lure that matches your last picture but it's 2 3/8". The lure itself is unmarked but it's box has a simple typed label that says "Lake James Scuttle Shuffle, Asheville, NC"

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Tonytoned wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm I have a few Lures, Spoons and such like that I've accumulated over the past two years and I also managed to identify a couple of them too.

(Top) - Bomber series 300 (so called because of its shape) Bomber Bait Co. Gainesville- Texas.

(Middle) - Whopper Stopper Bayou Boogie colour 6014 Whopper Stopper Bait Co. - ShermanTexas.

(Bottom) - Shakespeare Original LIL S.

William Shakespeare, Kalamazoo, Mich. William Shakespeare Jr. founded his tackle business in 1897

(Above) Paw Paw Bait Co. In 1970 the rights to the Paw Paw Lure Company were acquired by Shakespeare, which itself had been bought by Creek Chub which was bought out by Lazy Ike in 1978, which then ended up being owned by Pradco

All look like late baits

TWO FINNISH LURES

CountDown - Perch pattern

Rapala founded in Finland in the 1930s by Lauri Rapala.

Invincible J. 8cm 6g

Nils Masters Designed in 1965 the Nils Master lure range has developed into a wide range of different models, sizes and effective colour choices. In 1978 trade name Bete joined the family.

ABU Lures and spoons

Voblex (two different sizes)

Lead and slotted Devon minnows.

Quill Minnows

Lead Devon minnow bodies (left) and normally Devon minnows.

I just love collecting them and I always keep my eye out on my travels.

I have this small surface bait that I'm trying to identify, it is about an inch and a half long and made of wood. Any ideas anyone?
That first photograph hit me like dejevu. I had those three lures, l mean absolute exact duplicates. They came in a set from Woolworths along with a yellow banana shaped lure with trebles that dangled like legs either side of the body. I may still have it. Another indication that Woolies dealt on proper fishing tackle .
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

20200423_083637_resized.jpg
I've found it. This was the lure that completed the Woolworth's quartet of Bomber,Whopper Stopper and LIL S.
l also thought it safe to share a few images from a book l have in my possession.
20200423_082709_resized.jpg

20200423_082623_resized.jpg
20200423_082839_resized.jpg
Page ,after,page of uncensored images aimed at the discerning Gentleman with "special interests."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The best lure ever for me was the Renosky Lunker. They came in three sizes! It was basically a plastic fish with a blade at the front. I remember I had the perch and trout patterns. I caught every time I used one. I still have a medium sized one left, they were great but the problem with them was the damage caused by pike's teeth. You were lucky to get one to last a session! I'll take a pic when next home. Last summer just for old times sake I used my last one. My friend and I had been catching pike in a thames weir and the bites had dried up, so I put the Renosky on and jokingly told my friend that this is the best lure ever and I'll catch on my first cast. Well I did! Needless to say I was quite surprised.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Liphook wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:30 am Tonytoned I have a lure that matches your last picture but it's 2 3/8". The lure itself is unmarked but it's box has a simple typed label that says "Lake James Scuttle Shuffle, Asheville, NC"
Thank you Liphook. For the moment I cannot find any references on the inter web, but I shall delve further. If you could put a picture up that would be a great help. Don't worry if not.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Kev D wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 am

I've found it. This was the lure that completed the Woolworth's quartet of Bomber,Whopper Stopper and LIL S.
l also thought it safe to share a few images from a book l have in my possession.

Page ,after,page of uncensored images aimed at the discerning Gentleman with "special interests."
Great input Kev and how interesting. I know what you mean you just want everything, the temptation is to great! Thank you for taken the time finding that information. Out of interest what book is that you've shown the images from? Woolies was so good for many items of cheap tackle, my first rod and reel and came from there back in 70's

Last edited by Tonytoned on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”