New Member from California, USA

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Foakes
Stickleback

Re: New Member from California, USA

Post by Foakes »

Bobthefloat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:15 pm Welcome to the forum Fred. I see no mention of the best spinning reels of all time the Diawa 7000 series particularly the 7300 and 7600 in standard or H models!
:Chuckle: ( I have a little soft spot for those reels)
:Hat: :cheers: :fishing1:
Yes, those are terrific reels, Bob —

Problem is, like hundreds of other reels over the years — little, or no parts support & availability without getting a donor reel to cannibalize.

So, while many other brands and reels from the “Golden Age” of spinners are very good reels — I stick to what I have extensive parts inventory for — and stay in that zone.

Can’t be all things to all people.

Because I have all of the most commonly needed parts within a few feet of the bench — I can easily do a complete tear down, ultrasonic cleaning of every part, replacement of any worn or broken parts, reassemble, proper lube, tune, check over, & micro tune every function — generally within an hour, or less from start to finish.

If I had to search for unavailable parts, find a donor reel, search hours online, wait for call backs and postal deliveries — the time might be a month or two, if lucky — and a lot more expense and frustration for everyone involved.

My philosophy is to help others to get their reels back on the water, fully functional as when new, and as cheaply as possible.

I do this because I love the reels and craft — and am not willing to go down the road of becoming frustrated with reels that I cannot easily have/get parts for.

It is not a living — or a job — just a hobby that I enjoy.

The current backlog of reels for folks is approximately 110 — that is down from 194 at the end of October.

18 reels scheduled for completion this week.

Best, Fred
“The Official Unauthorized Service & Restoration Center for D.A.M. Quick, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell Spinning Reels”

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Missed this post somehow.Welcome to TFF.A fine collection and superb work area.Wish I could be that organised!

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Welcome to the forum, Fred.

Your description of the “Golden Age” of spinners, when quality materials, craftsmanship, and toughness of equipment were foremost, is so accurate. I have a very modest collection of Mitchells, Cardinals and DAM Quicks, all of which are used regularly. Although they rarely need anything but occasional cleaning and relubing (the DAMs are almost indestructable), it is good to know that there is a huge parts inventory nearby.

It must be nice living in the Sierras. Do you fly-fish in the Sierra streams? Or fish with lures in the lakes?

We look forward to your posts.

G. B.

Foakes
Stickleback

Post by Foakes »

If using the boat, I troll with lures for Rainbow, Brook, or Brown Trout & Kokanee.

If backpacking in the High Country — it is mainly lures.

Shore fishing the reservoirs is generally bait such as Nightcrawlers, Salmon Eggs, etc.

I have fly-fished — but don’t really like it.

We are about 4 hours from the Ocean — so either surf fishing or boat fishing requires different equipment and approaches.

Best, Fred
“The Official Unauthorized Service & Restoration Center for D.A.M. Quick, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell Spinning Reels”

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Foakes wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:11 pm
Bobthefloat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:15 pm Welcome to the forum Fred. I see no mention of the best spinning reels of all time the Diawa 7000 series particularly the 7300 and 7600 in standard or H models!
:Chuckle: ( I have a little soft spot for those reels)
:Hat: :cheers: :fishing1:
Yes, those are terrific reels, Bob —

Problem is, like hundreds of other reels over the years — little, or no parts support & availability without getting a donor reel to cannibalize.

So, while many other brands and reels from the “Golden Age” of spinners are very good reels — I stick to what I have extensive parts inventory for — and stay in that zone.

Can’t be all things to all people.

Because I have all of the most commonly needed parts within a few feet of the bench — I can easily do a complete tear down, ultrasonic cleaning of every part, replacement of any worn or broken parts, reassemble, proper lube, tune, check over, & micro tune every function — generally within an hour, or less from start to finish.

If I had to search for unavailable parts, find a donor reel, search hours online, wait for call backs and postal deliveries — the time might be a month or two, if lucky — and a lot more expense and frustration for everyone involved.

My philosophy is to help others to get their reels back on the water, fully functional as when new, and as cheaply as possible.

I do this because I love the reels and craft — and am not willing to go down the road of becoming frustrated with reels that I cannot easily have/get parts for.

It is not a living — or a job — just a hobby that I enjoy.

The current backlog of reels for folks is approximately 110 — that is down from 194 at the end of October.

18 reels scheduled for completion this week.

Best, Fred
I understand completely Fred it's a great thing when your hobby which your passionate about also helps others! It's a win win situation :Hat:

Great to have you aboard sir

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Welcome,

California is a long way from Blighty but the internet really does cut down distance.

Hope you enjoy being here.

As ever,....

Moley

Ps got any spare pivot gears for later Mitchell 300's
Say aye tae'a pie!

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Welcome to the forum Fred. ABU Cardinals and DAM Quick reels are without a doubt my favourite reels of all time. Your workshop and collection are stunning.

Foakes
Stickleback

Post by Foakes »

Yes, I am fortunate to have lots of parts, more importantly — organized into part numbers and categories — otherwise, they would be next to useless.

The small upstairs shop pictured previously — is only a small portion of the parts for DQ, Cardinals, Mitchell, & Penn Spinners. The outer shops have 10 times more.

If anyone needs anything, and someone could help me with the best and least expensive method of shipping — I would be glad to help out with parts, if available.

Best, Fred

Foakes
Stickleback

Post by Foakes »

A few shots of some of the outer shops —

There are also storage containers full of parts, spools, exterior parts, and complete reels — but this kind of gives an idea.

Best, Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A real treasure trove and a serious dedication to the job :Thumb: :Hat: It is unfortunately the cost of carriage and any duty that prevents me buying more from the US

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”