Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

Post by Mushy »

Interesting debate piscators, I can see both sides, but am leaning with Nobby at the moment, it's too cold to fish today anyway and its going to rain, couldn't possibly get her wet !!, so will grapple with my dilemma tomorrow !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi all, :Hat:

.... sorry Nobby, as much as I respect your views, but I still agree with Julian on this.....it's no fitting tribute to any rod maker if it's left unused. I'd definately use it and savour the moment, irrespective of how old it maybe or what it may have cost. It's a tool to be used as intended. Why miss the opportunity and leave it for someone else to experience as they invariably will?

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

To buy a fine fishing rod and not use it, is like buying fine art and not viewing it. I know that people do both, thinking of them as commodities for investment........Not I. A rod, in my opinion is not to be put on a pedestal, however rare. 'Tis a tool for a job, and what a job.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Oooh I seemed to have stirred up a veritable hornet's nest here, but wait a minute...... you piscators are very cunning, you're trying to get me to sell aren't you, very clever.....you won't get Mushy that easily ha ha !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Mushy wrote:Oooh I seemed to have stirred up a veritable hornet's nest here, but wait a minute...... you piscators are very cunning, you're trying to get me to sell aren't you, very clever.....you won't get Mushy that easily ha ha !!
:Hat:

....blast it!........Sussed! :Wink:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I know what you are saying Julian and Maggot's Dad, and ordinarily I'd be of the same mind, but this is a sought after rod in unbelievably good condition......it's a one-off.

I have no idea of it's value....it's the sort of thing that were two collectors to decide they weren't going to back off, might fetch a lot of money at auction.

As such, to even mark those reel bands up would be throwing money away. Throwing money away is foolish.

Anyway, I feel we've strayed a fair way off the original post, so I'll say no more on the matter for fear of hijacking the thread entitrely.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Richard - if it's in top condition then I bet you won't regret spending £395 on a lovely rod.

It's a fair bit of money.....but on the other hand you could think of it as @ 5 tanks of petrol; @ 110 pints of beer etc. etc. ... & your Mk1V will still be there after you've used it!

Mushy - I would use it, albeit carefully in terms of venue, species, weather. My grandfather's [he died nearly 40 years ago now] Westley Richards 12' float rod is priceless to me [& I've never seen even a hint of one on eBay]. I've only used it a few times but catching a decent perch or roach with it ranks as a special fishing moment.

If it's value that's important then.....................get Mr Yates to give it a waggle & treble it's value overnight :Chuckle: .

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

CraigM wrote:If it's value that's important then.....................get Mr Yates to give it a waggle & treble it's value overnight :Chuckle: .
Hi CraigM, :Hat:

....as much as I admire Mr. Yates, I wouldn't let him near it. (I've seen the condition of some of his rods that have gone for repair/refurbishment! :Hide: )

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Good afternoon MD.

Yes, I recall the Fred Taylor Roach Rod that appeared on eBay about this time last year with a provenance of "as used by Chris Yates & as repaired by Mr Barder" ! :Hahaha:

I did suggest a "waggle" rather than a full "fish with"..............

The Match Aerial is resting now until June 16th.

Regards,
Craig.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

CraigM wrote:Good afternoon MD.

Yes, I recall the Fred Taylor Roach Rod that appeared on eBay about this time last year with a provenance of "as used by Chris Yates & as repaired by Mr Barder" ! :Hahaha:

I did suggest a "waggle" rather than a full "fish with"..............

The Match Aerial is resting now until June 16th.

Regards,
Craig.
Hi Craig, :Hat:

....I seen others of his rods apart from just that one...... :Hide:

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”