Modern Carp Fishing - Spoof

This forum is for discussing carp.
Blunderer
Bleak

Re: Modern Carp Fishing - Spoof

Post by Blunderer »

Funny.

I once saw a genuine thread on a carp forum asking "Why do people put bream in carp lakes?"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Snape wrote:Like Mark I almost never go to a tackle shop.
Line, shot, hooks are usually bought online and the supermarket or village shop provides bread, luncheon meat and sweetcorn and hemp/maize from the local pet shop or Countrywide farmers shop.
When I have been on tackle shop it seems like it's full of stuff I don't understand about. oh dear.
I usually only buy my maggots there these days.

ChrispDuck

Post by ChrispDuck »

I had to pop into a local tackle shop for some hooks as internet order was a bit late and was staggered spods up to a foot long (do they take batteries and shake the bait out) and spikey looking things I thought I must have wandered into a wholesale supplier for ladies of the night or the local swingers group. Quickly paid for my hooks and headed for the lake wondering if I really do live in a parallel universe.

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

This is a genuine question - what the hell is a spod, and what is it for? Judging by the name, I don't think I would want one.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Nailbourne wrote:This is a genuine question - what the hell is a spod, and what is it for? Judging by the name, I don't think I would want one.
It's a tube with holes in and small wings attached to another rod it's filled with particle baits and cast out to the same spot hits the water and turns up depositing the bait this is done many times upto possible 50 times
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Nailbourne wrote:This is a genuine question - what the hell is a spod, and what is it for? Judging by the name, I don't think I would want one.
A spod is like a little hollow rocket that you attach to your line, then fill it with ground bait (or spod mix, or munga) and cast it out to the area you are fishing. This is repeated numerous times to build up the bait, and usually involves having a separate spod rod, plus a marker rod. With the latter you cast a large marker float to the area first to give you something to aim for.
Spod mix usually contains more ingredients than an entire series of Masterchef, and having completed all this marking and spodding it's no wonder you would need to retire to your bivvy for forty winks.

A spod, yesterday

I do believe the spod has now been usurped by the spomb.

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

Thank you very much, gentlemen! My favourite acronym comes to mind - WALOB!!! (I'm sure you can work out what it means).

I hope - sincerely hope - that no-one on this Forum uses such an object (for fishing, that is - what you do in private with She Who Must Be Obeyed is not germane to this forum).

'Feeder', I can just about understand (we called them swim-feeders - heavy match-fishing thingies), but I wouldn't recognise a 'method' rod if it bit me on the ankle! I use a variety of methods in fishing, but obviously I'm missing something here.

Thank goodness, time has passed me by.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Our motto is each to their own mr Nailbourne. I used one for years and to great effect. They do their job well.

Agreed, these days it just doesn't fit in with the way I angle so I don't own any.

Now if someone was to make one from a section of bamboo...... :Wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I admit that the modern tackle shop has become more and more bazaar but I really don't understand why people are surprised by items like the spod, after all its just a logical solution to an age old angling problem. Getting precise amounts of feed into a small area has been an issue in angling since the word dot and for years, when casting distance was restricted due to the cane rods and mainly centre pin or poor casting fixed spool reels, groundbait was more than enough to feed your swim. As grew distances grew so the imagination and tenacity of thinking anglers met the challenge.

Swimfeeders work well and have been around since the early 70's (?), for carp the method feeder was a step up, pressing your groundbait around a weighted cage meant you could lob it a long, long way. Then, when boilies were the mainstay of carp anglers (to avoid getting their baits eaten by small fish) they started cobbling together devices to mass feed a swim in short time rather than spend an hour with a catapult and made their own out of washing up liquid bottles and the like.

Its no more alien that the first person that spliced a reed tip into a whole cane section for extra sensitivity or who turned the spool on his reel to make it thread line rather than centre pin.

Personally I dislike casting a spod and avoid it unless its the only option but my mate will happily spod his swim on a certain water at a distance of 150 yards and more! Feeding by any other method is out of the question to all of us that do not own helicopters.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Spods might be seen as a good modern way of effectively baiting up - but they ruin the chances for anyone who wants to stalk carp and don't exactly create a quiet, peaceful situation by the water.
..... And then there are 'anglers' who use them on pools of less than an acre.... :Hair out:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”