Fred Taylor at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Re: Fred Taylor at Redmire

Post by Len Arbery »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind comment.

Yes, I did get to see Richard Walker quite a few times, in fact, he was so, so helpful to Kevin and I when we were preparing the 'Redmire Pool' book. But the list of names mentioned were, as stated, anglers I knew well; I would never claim that I knew Dick Walker well, although he was my inspiration long, long before he and I met. And I'm not forgetting 'BB', Peter Thomas and Gerry Berth-Jones, etc. etc. either.

Besties,

Len.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Only a young myself at the age of 42 I think its inspirational to have such a well known angler on the forum and to share all those wonderful photographs and experiences, Thank you for writing Redmire Pool with Kevin Clifford a truly wonderful book that goes with me on every trip to Redmire :Hat:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

ive enjoyed reading your books too I find them very interesting I also like bob bueteux books too which are like yours

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Len Arbery wrote:Hello All,

Firstly, 'Fred J's' culinary skills at Redmire:

This picture is of Fred actually preparing breakfast in Redmire's car parking area. The lidded device in the foreground is one of Fred's cast iron Dutch Ovens. The wire-mesh filing basket was Fred's grill for toast, etc.

The occasion being when Fred invited me to act as his (non-fishing) chauffer and general skivvy. The other anglers present being the late Colin Dyson (owner and editor of Coarse Angler magazine) and Tim Paisley. (Circa 1989).

Can't recall Fred ever saying he was a professional chef. What he did mention: In World War II, during the desert campaign, the company's cook was killed and Fred, having bakery experience, volunteered to temporarily take over. A position that, undoubtedly due to Fred's skill, became permanent.

Secondly, in my next post, will have something to say re: 'Fred J's' Redmire blank.

Besties,

Len.
Actually, Fred was a professional chef for part of his life. Firstly at Stone Hospital which is just outside of Aylesbury and then at an experimental rocket establishment near the lakes at Wotton Underwood. Any anglers here who fished the lakes up until at least the '70s will have heard the sudden roar of rocket engines as they were tested from time to time.

Len, when I first met Bill Keal he was fishing with Alec Lewis and they used to be known as Keal and Lewis. Suddenly, Lewis disappeared from the scene, and although I fished with Bill Keal I never heard anything about Lewis, was there a story there?
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Len Arbery wrote:Hello All (again),

Re: Fred J. Taylor's Redmire blank:

'Sometime in the night I awoke to a buzzer's scream, and waited for the answering strike. But none came, whilst the buzzer continued in an unbroken single note. Instinctively, I knew straight away, it was one of Fred's buzzers and leapt out of bed and ran to his tent and shook it as violently as possible, and screamed for Fred to wake up, with no response whatsoever. The buzzer almost unbelievably continued its wail, and the rod was rattling in the rests from the power of the run. I tried again, and then again without success to wake Fred. The buzzer then stuttered prior to falling silent. Forlornly, for I just knew in my heart of hearts that would be the only chance of the weekend, the rod was retrieved, re-baited and recast. (And, so it proved, that was the only chance of the whole weekend.)

Len.
Are you sure that the screaming noise you heard was not Fred snoring? During the many nights I spent at Fred's home and he at my home, or when I fished near where he was sleeping, his snoring was deafening. The nights were even noisier if his brother Ken was there as well. :)
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

He did land a carp at Redmire . . . .

. . . but it was for Joe !

Opening day, but not sure of the year . . .

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Great pictures SofaSurfer.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wasn't the bottom picture titled 'September Morn' by Walker?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Dave,

I don't think so, it was taken on June 16. It's one of a series showing him wading into Redmire to land his brother's 30lb+ fish. I don't know who the photographer was.

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Thanks yet again for all the kind words; much appreciated.

Hello (Ian) 'Sandgroper',

Thanks for the information re: 'Fred J's' professional chef work.

Bill Keal had been tragically killed on the M4 prior to my joining the Herts-Chiltern Anglers, so I never knew him. Alec Lewis, however, I got to know very well. He told me he and Bill Keal had fished together since their schooldays, and he never gave me any inkling of any rift between them. In fact, after Alec's own premature death (due to heart trouble) his widow, Margaret, passed on to me Bill Keal's angling scrapbook, that had evidently been passed on to Alec when Bill died.

On one night 'Fred J' and I spent on an Oxfordshire carp lake, he chose to sleep in the fishing hut, whilst I, of course, slept in my bivvy by my rods (some 20 or 30 metres from said hut.) Sometime during the dark hours I awoke to a strange sound that I couldn't identify, so set out to investigate. The racket seemed to be coming from behind me so tracked it by ear, the noise increasing in intensity all the while. It led me up over a three foot high bank and toward that hut; I just could not believe it - it was Fred snoring. (None of the foregoing is in any way an exaggeration!)

Having learned of the incredible decibel level Fred's snoring, I set out to use it.

I didn't have long to wait: Bob Buteux, (who loves his sleep) and 'Fred J' were accompanying me to some far-flung fishing 'Do'; so that nobody would have to rise at 'the crack of sparrows', I got them to agree to spend the previous night at my house, in our spare room equipped with twin beds. Well, you can imagine the scene at breakfast - Fred full of the joys of Spring; whilst both of Bob's eyes had bags under them big enough to hold a golf ball!

Hello Sofa Surfer,

Re: Joe Taylor's Redmire carp: 'Fred J', brother Ken and cousin Joe, arrived at Redmire for the start of the 1962 season. During their time there Joe hooked a carp from the dam, on floating crust. The hooked fish weeded solid and 'Fred J' resolved the situation by wading out fully clothed to net it, as those pictures testify. And it can, therefore, be deduced Ken took those pictures; for Fred was in the water and Joe busy handling the rod.

Incidentally, Joe's 26lb'er was the only Redmire carp recorded in 1962.

Besties,

Len.

Return to “Redmire Pool”