Floatcaster Deluxe

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
JohnClyde
Perch

Re: Floatcaster Deluxe

Post by JohnClyde »

The lake was recommended by your kind self.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Lovely Rod, fish and lake.

Do i spy an intrepid on the rod on the Tench lake pics or just something similar?

My own floatcaster had its firs outing a couple of weeks ago, but only landed 2 little Rudd, I'd love a Tench like that on it.

Gaz

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

gaztheangler wrote:Do i spy an intrepid on the rod on the Tench lake pics or just something similar?
Definitely an Intrepid (very distinctive, those chromed tension nuts) and judging by what appears to be a folding handle, I'd say it's an Elite?

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I'd say an elite too. Lovely picturs
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Well spotted! I inherited from my grandad a battered old half-bail armed mitchell, a battered old hardy fly reel and this intrepid in mint condition. I grew up thinking the intrepid must have been really posh and expensive, but now I know why its not got a mark on it. Its crap.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Mine are with a restorer at the moment, but the butt and tip eye are lined with white ceramic. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to whipping rings so I'm happy to pay for someone to do it, the last time I had a couple of rings rewhipped cost about 40.00 but this did include a nice agate lined german silver butt ring.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

MICK.SMITH39 wrote:
MGs wrote:I use my 12' version quite a lot. As Nobby says you wouldn't want to trot holding on to it all day. However, I have caught everything from minnows (which registered a bite whilst ledgering) to big barbel on it. A good all round rod.
hello all just found one of these mixed in with all my other rods, wondered if you could tell me if its only the bottom eye that has a insert, all the other eyes inclueding the top eye are just metal, is that right and roughly how much would it cost to get all the ferrules glued and re whipped, any help please.
most of the ones I have seen had white ceramic lining. They are fairly fragile and I have replaced mine (although I have retained a slightly broken tip ring, which I may repair with a bit of solder)
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think it was just the early Octofloats that had white ceramic lined tip and butt rings, later ones...and all the Octofloat deLuxes has agatine lined eyes.

The problem with ferrules is the time getting them off and not doing any damage in the process. If the ferrule are loose enough to be pulled off then it's not such a chore...and consequently a lot cheaper to have done by someone.

The other issue with having someone 'do up' a rod for you is postage....there and back, even if you have a spare tube around, is going to add £20 to the bill!

I'd be inclined to get the ferrules done and do the rest yourself. Varnish only has to keep the rod weatherproof and rings only have to have tight whippings...they don't have to look good to do the job...it's just nice if they do, but it's not essential.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure only a few cheap rods had unlined tip rings...I don't think any Sealeys did.

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

I've sent all my rods for £5.30 as a standard package. They usually fall under the 1.5m limit. Never had a problem.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I should have said, I send my rods Next Day, Signed For which usually comes in around £8.50.

And so far...touch wood....they've got there the following morning without fail!

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”