MK IV carp

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: MK IV carp

Post by Santiago »

ImageImage

And two more. On the cane you can see two of the spiralled nodes!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

ImageImage

And most of the writing!

The bit missing '1956' didn't show up well on the photo! So not added.

Like Gilbert's, the cane looks darker in real life!

I only wish I had the original photos before I restored it!

For clarity, and I think I mentioned this in my original post (thread on nodes), only the butt section is made with spiral nodes, and the tip section has staggered nodes! Just to add to the confusion.

And the nodes are clearly pressed not sanded. This is more obvious in the tip section as some are raised.

Gilbert, my reference to RW refers to an old joke, not to be taken seriously! :Chuckle:

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Santiago wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:17 pm
For clarity, and I think I mentioned this in my original post (thread on nodes), only the butt section is made with spiral nodes, and the tip section has staggered nodes! Just to add to the confusion.

Gilbert, my reference to RW refers to an old joke, not to be taken seriously! :Chuckle:
having checked my tip , that also is built with staggered nodes. as James infers , having spiral nodes on the tip would make more sense .

references to RW always worry me . i don't want the responsibility of owning a RW rod !

the butt will be ok to handle tomorrow . if the light (sun) is ok i will post a pic or two

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Gilbert wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 pm
Santiago wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:17 pm

having checked my tip , that also is built with staggered nodes. as James infers , having spiral nodes on the tip would make more sense .

references to RW always worry me . i don't want the responsibility of owning a RW rod !

the butt will be ok to handle tomorrow . if the light (sun) is ok i will post a pic or two
Maybe the maker was trying to affect the action of the rod lower down. That is, if a spiral node section is stiffer than that made with staggered nodes. No idea really! :tea:

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just rechecked the tip section. The nodes are staggered alright, but not in the normal pattern. They're NOT in the 3/3 format on alternate faces. They're actually in a 2/2/2 format with the nodes on opposite faces. I have no idea what this means! But I guess it would potentially make the tip stronger!

Does this indicate that the maker was experimenting with node patterns?

Would an amateur experiment with node patterns?

This just adds to the mystery! :doh:

Anyone any ideas who made rod tip sections with a 2/2/2 staggered node pattern? As you might have guessed, I haven't a clue, but my gut instinct tells me that this is unusual!

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

i have looked at the tip and that also appears to be 2-2-2. i will have to get my fly rod out and see how that is constructed.

it seems i may have a long wait for the ferrule . gonna try a few other possible sources as i would like to see this finished .don't hold your breath!

G

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Gilbert wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 pm i have looked at the tip and that also appears to be 2-2-2. i will have to get my fly rod out and see how that is constructed.

it seems i may have a long wait for the ferrule . gonna try a few other possible sources as i would like to see this finished .don't hold your breath!

G
Sounds like it's highly likely the blanks are built by the same maker!

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

the fly rod is very different 3-3 construction and beautifully made . it may well be a Southwell rod in which case the MKIV certainly isn't

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I did ask the forum in another thread some time ago if their JB Walker MKIV kit rods had spiral nodes and all that replied said they had the standard 3/3 staggered pattern.

However, I don't think our rods having spiral nodes excludes them from being made by Southwell, as he might have been experimenting with node patterns. Likewise, RW himself may well have experimented with node patterns on a few MKIVs. Certainly, his pedigree for thinking outside the box and innovating warrants consideration, regardless of the fact that without his signature this is pure conjecture! :Chuckle:

There's several of RW's letters on the forum that might be worth a read!

Someone on the forum actually owns a signed RW MKIV but I think its a B James version.

There's also a possibility that RW made a few blanks for JB Walker that weren't signed, but I don't think we have any of them, if they ever existed.

Regardless, until someone presents us with a named MKIV with this very unique node pattern (spiral butt and 2/2/2 staggered tip) all we can do is speculate. All we can say for sure is that these rods are very rare and were made by a thinking man who knew exactly what he was trying to achieve!

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Another possibility is that they were made by a maker that made mostly game rods, as these node patterns were used mostly in game rods!

Just a thought!

Hemingway

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”