Playfair Grant Vibration greenheart rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Playfair Grant Vibration greenheart rod

Post by Liphook »

Yes forget the # numbering systems for DH rods and give us true gr/g weight windows for rods along with accurately measured, weighed and QC'd lines I say! (That last bit might be the hardest judging by my tests, some of the big names are the worst offenders!)

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

No luck on the Planet Cast video on YT but at least my copy of Fine and Far Off will be arriving soon.
It's described there, whether I can decipher it is another matter!

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Liphook wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 am Yes forget the # numbering systems for DH rods and give us true gr/g weight windows for rods along with accurately measured, weighed and QC'd lines I say! (That last bit might be the hardest judging by my tests, some of the big names are the worst offenders!)
You said it! The only measurement I actually did was the length of heads and many were way off (some by feet) so no surprise if lines were nowhere in their grain window!
Sometimes it's like it's pure chance you get a line which casts well with your intended rod! :Beg:
Which is why this continuous taper may be quite good (for greenhearts anyway). I read some tech paper of lines and these continuous lines are the easiest to get going (DTs worst), and you will find some point along it where it will cast nicely and perform well. It may be a few feet up or down for another rod but at least you don't have yo buy another line. The self casting nature of greenheart then allows you to build up energy in the rod and release it for a long cast. Thats the hope anyway probable reality is a pile of line 5 feet in front of you! :Tongue:

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Dammit! Someone pipped me at the post for a 40yd dt6 Kingfisher!

Actually may have been a close miss. I was talking to a chap about Vibrations and he said that he saw this. It's a Kingfisher #6, not a DT6 and he said it was in poor shape and would probably fall apart once in your hand.
:laugh1:

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Playfair Vibration is now on its way to Paul! I'm looking forward to this!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I saw that line in a Kingfisher box.....I wouldn't trust it to tie up tomatoes personally. Keep looking and asking, they are out there somewhere. Something might appear at the fairs (our own Penninelad is hosting one in S Yorkshire in a few months). If I come across anything remotely suitable I'll PM you the details. Did you contact Peche a Soie? I'm told they had a selection of older lines they had refurbished....

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Liphook wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:09 pm I saw that line in a Kingfisher box.....I wouldn't trust it to tie up tomatoes personally. Keep looking and asking, they are out there somewhere. Something might appear at the fairs (our own Penninelad is hosting one in S Yorkshire in a few months). If I come across anything remotely suitable I'll PM you the details. Did you contact Peche a Soie? I'm told they had a selection of older lines they had refurbished....
Yes I was talking to a Grant Vibration enthusiast about it at the time of the auction and he said it was a rubbish line, so a close call to wasting £25. He said many lines he bought like that completely disintegrated in his hand when they arrived, so it's a real lottery.
I haven't contacted Peche a Soie as Ian Moxon has now agreed to make me the continuous taper Grant line and the rod is off to Paul on Monday.
If I come across a 7DT trout/salmon line at a good price in fishable condition then I'll get it, but I will probably just wait for the new Moxon CT line now. Many thanks for the tip, much appreciated. P-a-S's shooting head line was over 160 euros and Terenzio's lines have really increased in price, approaching that of Phoenix, so a silk will be an expensive mistake or joy.
Cheers!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Yes they are a considerable outlay, but if well looked after will last almost indefinitely so over time are a good investment. Another thought is does MrZhu still mske/supply silk lines? They arrive looking like a roll of fence wire but actually are nice once broken in (treat then rub back and forth over a door handle, repeat).
I have a number of P-a-S half lines for my small stream rods rated #3, 4 and 5. They are superb! The real advantage with silk is having virtually no stretch or memory they are a real treat on the cast, mend and hook set and with their diameter and density are the original 'windcutter'. I tried a line of unknown origin that for all intents and purposes was a silk TT 'head' looped at either end, it absolutely flew out on my Loop #7 switch. I wish I knew who made it and where to buy another! Could you post up or PM me the details of Ian Moxon please? I do like to buy British where possible.... :Hat:

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Here's Ian's outlet now. https://www.barbless-flies.co.uk/produc ... 0877222074
He used to sell them on Ebay at £20 less but I can't begrudge him that.
I actually fished silk 10 or more years ago of top brands but I tired of the maintenance post fishing and the sinking just when a hatch was coming on!

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Check out also his Instagram feed he often posts shots of his new lines and videos of his line weaving machines at work!
Ian.m_fishing

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”