Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Mr WildCarp Fisher - I have bought several rods from Thomas Turner over the last 4 or 5 years and whilst the prices are towards the top end I have always prefered to pay for a good example rather than a lesser price for something which may not turn out to be what was expected.

I have never been disappointed in a purchase from Thomas Turner and I hope you have the same experience.

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I believe its an excellent purchase that will give you great pleasure for many years to come.I have owned a Mark 1V carp rod since since 1966 and I treasure it and think of all the great memories it has given me during all those years.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Pedro wrote:I believe its an excellent purchase that will give you great pleasure for many years to come.I have owned a Mark 1V carp rod since since 1966 and I treasure it and think of all the great memories it has given me during all those years.
Hi Pedro, :Hat:

......spot on! :Thumb: That's exactly what they're for!

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Thanks again it's put my mind at ease too.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Really interesting CraigM I have just tracked down a Westley Richard I first came across one 5 years ago and it went in my little book. I made a note it would be great for Roach, Grayling and Perch have looked a few times but could never find a course rod only fly rods. 2 weeks ago I had a call out of the blue did I know anybody that had one as they had cash to spend and the talking to a friend about a float rod for someone else I discovered he had the rod I was looking for and then I read your post.
Somebody up there really must like me at the moment.
Bumble

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I like the sports car analogy but if you leave a car in the garage for a long time, it deteriorates. Oil degrades, brakes seize, tyres go flat, battery runs out etc. Does a fishing rod improve with use ? Its a natural material and the occasional flex and soaking might add something; a patina or character that a new 'out of the box' rod might not have. It was ages before I used my cane rods, I didn't want to spoil them, they stayed safely indoors. Now they have been used for a few seasons I like them even more. Old friends. Their monetary value has increased but I don't care because I'm not selling them !

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Bumble wrote:Really interesting CraigM I have just tracked down a Westley Richard I first came across one 5 years ago and it went in my little book. I made a note it would be great for Roach, Grayling and Perch have looked a few times but could never find a course rod only fly rods. 2 weeks ago I had a call out of the blue did I know anybody that had one as they had cash to spend and the talking to a friend about a float rod for someone else I discovered he had the rod I was looking for and then I read your post.
Somebody up there really must like me at the moment.
Bumble
Hi Bumble, :Hat:

.....how about some photo's please? So little is known of the WR history, let's see some of their tackle! Does any one else have anything WR related other than the 1000's of Speedias out there?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It too thought Speedias were from Westley Richards, but it seems it's not so...just a coincidence of the initials W.R.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Maggot's Dad wrote:
.....how about some photo's please? So little is known of the WR history, let's see some of their tackle! Does any one else have anything WR related other than the 1000's of Speedias out there?
Westley Richards are still trading as gun makers and I read somewhere that they are preparing a book on the history of the company.

There is a chapter on Westley Richards and other dealers in the book 'D is for Dingly' by Patrick Garner & Brian Taylor ( I think Brian may be a member of this forum?)

Pete

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

MD as soon as I get them I will post.
Bumble

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”