Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Beresford,

The marks on my two don't line up either, I'm not convinced they were designed to line up.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

SofaSurfer wrote:Beresford,

The marks on my two don't line up either, I'm not convinced they were designed to line up.
That's interesting, they line up on another Sharpes rod I own. I thought that was the point of having them, but perhaps not.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Beresford,

Logic suggests that the marks (made with a centre punch) are to align the sections but its easier to look at the rod rings rather than a faint mark in the shiny metal. Moreover, when I rotate each rod there is no sign of a droop or set in any plane so I don't think the tips have been turned.

I bought a new Hardy fly rod which has marks to align the sections, but they don't line up ! Its a mystery to me.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Mine have a dot of red paint in them, again this could have been added at a later stage.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

I've just received a 9' 3'' version yesterday. Mine is a very powerful rod perfect for what I wanted it for 12lb line in weed and snags.

Mine is J.S Sharpes Scottie.

I love it. Took a modest fish on it today in heavy weed, it will be perfect.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Whilst out for a drive yesterday I happened across a second hand (I saw you coming) type shop and bought a whicker basket for my lad. Then I popped into the shop next door (which happened to be the old tackle shop although he has changed over to selling clothing now), and bought the owner's old 10' 2 piece Sharpes rod. It has a beautiful action and may well be the same as those I've missed out on at auctions but it has been fettled and has a Fuji reel fitting. That matters not to me as it has a very similar action to my New Superb and will make a great barbel/carp rod.

Wildcarpfisher, you will find yours not only copes well with carp but that you can also use it to beat the nettles, they are great rods.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave Burr wrote:you can also use it to beat the nettles
:laugh:

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

It's the same as yours Dave, but I paid much, much more for mine? Maybe too much but I only need the one ad it will last me out!

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Do you have any photos Dave, would like something to compare my 10ft Sharpes too.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Chaps, the dots – do the dots on your ferrules line up or not?

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”