Welsh Wild Carp

This forum is for discussing carp.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Welsh Wild Carp

Post by Kingfisher »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Must have been lots of fine ales :Sarcasm: :Thumb:

Fennel, is an Ale Conoseur Shaun. He told us yesterday of how he'd driven all the way from his oxford home to the Brains brewery in Pembrokeshire, just to sample a pint of "Rev James" and then went home.

He seemed to like Firsty Ferret whilst he was here too. :Wink:

Back to the Wildies,

This weekend I've witnessed these fish strip 60-70 yards of lines from spools on the first run, Tare off through lilly beds after being hooked before the Angler could even react, also the "Ultimate" tail walk 10 yards and throw the hook.

These are our Bonefish and yet Anglers don't even bother to fish for them.....why?

They give the best sport on lightish tackle.....I've seen small carp make mince meat of 6lb breaking strain line and I've seen Stu (Sweetcorn Kid) "A big fish man and an Angler of high esteem" stand there shocked by their power/speed. I only wish I'd had a photo of the first one he hooked. I'll leave him to tell you the rest as he's on his way home now.
Last edited by Kingfisher on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I try not to drink pints these days as they tend to make my clothes shrink so a few weeks back on the wine and it would appear my clothes once again re-hydrate and fit comfortably. I don't think I have sampled Firsty Ferret but probably would should I spot it during the colder months, for in the summer I tend to get drawn towards the cider if I am on pints. Looking forward to the next picture instalment.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I've just edited my last post. I'll pick my son up and then try to get those photos sorted out correctly. I've had the garden to weed, it was looking dismal and over-grown after my absence.

Ask Stu about his putting on weight. Or maybe that should be his shrinking belt. :Chuckle: :Sarcasm:

Izaak Walton

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I cooked Stu and our host Brian one of my curries on our recent 'Lincolnshire Adventure'. As is the case with me when I cook for others I cook much more than required especially when cooking for people for the first time, just in case they eat copious amounts compared to others.

Now I can troff with the best of them so was eating away keeping my eye on my two fellow diners until Stu's fork went down and he admitted he couldn't get another scrap inside of him.

A few minutes later he was pigging at it again :Hahaha:

I would imagine he possibly suffers the shrinking belt scenario as often as I do.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Back on theme I have not caught a wildie since the mid 80's. One of the pools I fished had a fair few but they were very old, mirrors were stocked as is often sadly the case and when I returned 10 years later there were no signs of any of the wildies left.

I don't know of any in my area now and I guess I should put myself out to find some to angle for again as in the day when I was catching them like so many other carp anglers I didn't really appreciate what I was catching. I obviously knew what wildies were but I never realised how so very scarce they would become and I can't think of a single decent picture I have of a Wild Carp. I must put that one to rights whilst there are indeed a few to target.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Matt :Hat: , looks fantastic :Wink: ,Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Tongue:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Another of Stu's Wildies,

Stu goes fluff chucking on my river.

Stu fly fishing with a beetroot neck. :Wink:

Fennel fly fishing

more pics shortly.

Izaak Walton

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

All looks fantastic :Thumb:
I'm hoping to visit one the lakes around there next month, and this has wet my appetite even more

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

You won't be dissapointed Blackadder sir. :Hat:

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Another 3 wildies caught this morning but I forgot my camera.

It was really hot over there at LlynGwyn this morning but it didn't stop the wildies feeding though. :Thumb:

Izaak Walton

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”