Chris Yates Tackle

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Chris Yates Tackle

Post by Dave Burr »

I've spoken to Chris on quite a few occasions about this and that and know that the last place he would want to be is on a forum. He even stopped doing public appearances in front of groups of anglers preferring instead to talk to library groups and such. He did do a talk at the Hay on Wye Literary Festival after 'How To Fish' was launched and I contacted him before hand to offer him some shad fishing as I knew he hadn't caught one despite trying in the past. He politely declined and intimated that he would rather the talk was attended by literary folk rather than anglers but he was of course disappointed.

He's a genuinely nice bloke - eccentric and unique but humble and frankly (I think) bored with the hustle of strangers asking questions that have all been answered before. So chaps, don't hold your breath.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Indeed. Hero worship is an embarrassing trait in a grown man. I admit I have been guilty of gushing sycophancy towards certain ‘famous’ types in the past and I still blush about it. I console myself with the justification that I was a late developer and never really grew up properly. I’m sure those we look up to accept a certain level of admiration and enjoy it to a degree, but overly enthusiastic ‘be my new best friend’ behaviour must seriously upset them when all they want to do is stroll down the riverbank in solitude or have a quiet pint in a pub alone or with their real friends. Especially when all they’ve done to deserve it is catch a few fish and write about it. I’m sure at times they are happy to talk and listen, but at other times are just itching to escape. It is a credit to some of these chaps that they deal with the attention in such a gentlemanly manner. The screaming girls analogy is a good one. Calm down dears.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've never spoken to CY although our fishy paths have crossed and re-crossed for over 50 years. I don't want to copy his tackle, lifestyle or achievements. However, he has inspired me and influenced my life through his writing, particularly 'Casting at the Sun'.

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them". - (Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V).

You can't ignore your position in life. 'Screaming girl', I'm a bit too old for that :-)

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

As Chris logged on to the TFF he was met by a baying crowd......anybody spotted themselves? :Wink:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

That's me at the front, with the wristwatch, she's not squealing at the Beatles !!!! :-)

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Girly screams...

"Chris, Chris, over here Chris, I love you Chris and I'm waving a cane rod, just like you..."
"Oh look, he's wearing a Barbour..."
"Bless..."
"His bald head looks just like mine..."
"I love his beard!"

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

:laugh: :laugh:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

We aim to amuse... :Hahaha: :Happy:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That was another coffee all over the monitor moment.......

If we were to mention Chris' tackle, as the origianl post asked you can be sure the price would double overnight.......

I've heard, and keep this to yourself, ... that he uses a Edgar Sealey Floatfish II and is rather fond of fibreglass rods from the late Sixties generally.

Purely by coincidence I have for sale a number.........

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Nobby wrote:... and is rather fond of fibreglass rods from the late Sixties generally
oh, and so am I, what an honourable company :Hat:

Return to “Chris Yates”