Fred J Taylor Roach Rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Fred J Taylor Roach Rod

Post by Nobby »

Still seems to have six days to run.........

S'funny, Gary told me he owns the rod...oh well.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Nobby wrote:Still seems to have six days to run.........

the first time it came up i thought it was JOC that owned it, maybe that was before whoever owns it now, he had two i think when i bought mine from him (not eBay)

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

greentura wrote:
Nobby wrote:Still seems to have six days to run.........

the first time it came up i thought it was JOC that owned it, maybe that was before whoever owns it now, he had two i think when i bought mine from him (not eBay)
Maybe there are two. It appears there are two auctions :think:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160880623615? ... 766wt_1141

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chapmans-Fred ... 500wt_1345

Or have I gone completely mad???? Too rich for my pocket anyway...........I'll get my own refurbed by Andrew. :thumb:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

No, you're not mad Ray, he's now written that the first auction is closed but he's failed to remove it.

It seems he couldn't load larger images on the first auction as requested by some watchers.

Lord knows what he'll do with the funds....he already owns TWO Craftversas !!!!

Jammy ****er!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Quick update...Gary has e-mailed me to let me know that he no longer owns the rod but is kindly auctioning it for the current owner. That's the sort of bloke he is......

I think someone might get a comparative bargain here....unless the chaps who wanted it at Mullocks are watching it.

Funny old world innit? Famous tench fisherman, practically invented the 'lift method' and his most famous rod is called a roach rod but it's actually a really good......tench rod.

It's also rather extraordinary that it's the inspiration, almost the prototype of, one of the most desirable rods of all...the Barder ....Merlin, was it?

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Nobby wrote:Quick update...Gary has e-mailed me to let me know that he no longer owns the rod but is kindly auctioning it for the current owner. That's the sort of bloke he is......

I think someone might get a comparative bargain here....unless the chaps who wanted it at Mullocks are watching it.

Funny old world innit? Famous tench fisherman, practically invented the 'lift method' and his most famous rod is called a roach rod but it's actually a really good......tench rod.

It's also rather extraordinary that it's the inspiration, almost the prototype of, one of the most desirable rods of all...the Barder ....Merlin, was it?
I think it was the 'Barbus Maximus', Nobby. At least, comparing the tapers of my FJT and BM, they appear very similar and I'm pretty sure Yatesy confirmed that a while back when it came up in a discussion about the very rod currently up for auction.

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Of course....thanks for that....I knew it had an 'M' in it :oops:

This might be the very rod that inspired EB to reack for his verniers, then?

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

We must get together sometime Nobby, been saying that for a couple of years and i still haven't got to Buryhill, and I'll bring my versions of the FJT that were inspired by EB's take on it, the Barbus Maximus and how the rod's don't always have to be restored to their original design to retain the spirit behind it's creation. I like to think that Fred, Peter and Dick look down and are not displeased with the way things are even though they all would be striving for the best and most modern in some cases were they still here :wink:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, Andy. Another Summer's gone by and I haven't been up there either.

I did get up there with JAA last year, but it was a pretty awful day....no fried breakfasts and no fish either :-(

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

As long as it wasn't like a pond I visits a few years back where the fried breakfast was the fish, bless our eastern European friends :hide:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”