Fred Taylor at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Re: Fred Taylor at Redmire

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Hilarious Len. Thanks for that story. I'm a bit of a snorer (so I have been told/bawled at). :Hahaha:

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

SofaSurfer wrote:Dave,

I don't think so, it was taken on June 16. It's one of a series showing him wading into Redmire to land his brother's 30lb+ fish. I don't know who the photographer was.
I would say that it was 1961 or 1962. The photographer was almost certainly Walker as, if I remember rightly, the incident was the subject of a centre page spread in Angling Times. While I think it is most unlikely to be a problem, it should be remembered that Dick's widow, Pat Marsden Walker, claims the copyright on every photograph that Dick ever took, along with everything he wrote including letters! That was made quite clear to John Mason and I during the time we were doing some publishing work five or six years ago. Was the fish over 30lbs? I seem to have 26lbs in mind, but whichever, it was a fish worth a bit of wading, though there was a great deal of unjustified criticism over te event at the time. A lot of anglers seemed to think that Joe should have pulled for a break and left the fish with yards of line trailing from its mouth. :Confused:
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

SG, you are correct, it was 26lb. The photos are not attributed to anyone.

Len,

I enjoy your contribution to the forum very much, do you remember all this stuff or do you have copious notes ? I have re-read 'Redmire Pool' many times and always enjoy it, thanks.

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

SofaSurfer wrote:SG, you are correct, it was 26lb. The photos are not attributed to anyone.

Len,

I enjoy your contribution to the forum very much, do you remember all this stuff or do you have copious notes ? I have re-read 'Redmire Pool' many times and always enjoy it, thanks.

I remember a fair number of the incidents mentioned because I was there when they happened, though while I fished Redmire with Walker, FJT and Joe Taylor, I was not there on that occasion. Actually I have a picture somewhere of the three above at Redmire which is quite quite pertinent to this thread, as it shows Fred with the cooking gear. I will keep looking for it.

Len, I wasn't aware that Walker wasn't there for the wading incident. I assumed he had been as they all normally fished there together. Thanks for your remarks about the Keal/Lewis history. I wonder what/if anything happened there?
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

There is certainly A picture of FJT in the water that Walker called "September Morn"; the month that the photo was taken is immaterial because it is a reference to a notorious painting:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_Morn

A slight difference in build between the two "models" may be observed.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

A slight difference in build between the two "models" may be observed.
Genius!!

:laugh:
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Its one of those pictures from my childhood that have stuck with me, seeing Fred wading and the bulging net at the end of it is engrained on my angling memories from way back. I am certain that Walker (who was a well informed chap) referred to it as 'September Morn' and me, being less informed, took it as the time of capture rather than the artistic reference. But it was definitely a 26 pounder caught by his brother Ken. The picture has appeared in a book or two and as the mists of more recent memories clear I seem to recall it may well have been in one of Fred's but I a long way from my book shelf at present and can't confirm it.

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

I’m fortunate to have a set of (4) whole plate black & white picture of Fred’s wading incident to net cousin Joe’s 26-pounder at the ’mire. These were given to me by Dick Walker in the mid 1970s. They have Dick’s hand written ‘Copyright Dick Walker’ on the back along with two of them having a caption written (also in Walker’s handwriting) the best one being as Fred wades out... ‘Funny - it only came two inches up them ducks!”

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Ha!! Wonderful!!! :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Hmmmm . . . . the young lady appears to have forgotten the landing net . . .

Return to “Redmire Pool”