New British carp Record perhaps....

This forum is for discussing carp.
Skeff
Crucian Carp

Re: New British carp Record perhaps....

Post by Skeff »

Well, this topic has sparked a series of debates!

Dave, it's not often I don't find myself nodding at whatever you write but I'm not sure I understand your comment that "...its not the same as Walker's or Yates' moment in the sun but it's still a phenomenal achievement for those that follow that direction."

It's a new record and must have meant every bit as much to the captor as Clarissa did to Walker, The Bishop to Yates and Mary to Terry Hearn surely? I accept that there are so many huge carp around these days that the impact isn't as great perhaps.... Chris' record stood for well over a decade, yet when I caught my first fifty in 2006 there were four or five other fifties caught that same week! So I do accept that the carp scene is very different now.

I do agree with your comments though Shaun and I for one am delighted to see the record fall to a fish from a well managed water, where the carp reflects the nature and natural capacity of the environment in which it lives.... A true record at a time when I was certain the next claim would be from a carp stocked into a fishery at a big weight, which has little or no relationship with it's environment and which would have devalued to record completely in my view......

I'm celebrating the fact that the carp record still has some meaning and I'm delighted for the angler and the fishery management team.

On the issue of mouth damage, I don't think there is any doubt that fish care has come a long way in recent years but I do agree that ever more powerful rods used in the wrong circumstances are a problem. Every rod advert these days focuses on how far the rod can cast with little or no mention of playing action) and test curves are forever on an upward spiral. When playing large fish under the rod top on a small water this is a real issue and one the tackle trade should address in my view..... Interesting for example that ESP are bringing out a new version of the Terry Hearn rods but the lowest test curve is 3lb, even though Terry's favoured TC is the 2.75lb version because,as Terry told me, they don't think anglers will buy any rod of less than a 3lb TC.

All interesting stuff... Good debate chaps! :Hat:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well put Skeff and yes it is a good debate :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Skeff wrote:Well, this topic has sparked a series of debates!

Dave, it's not often I don't find myself nodding at whatever you write but I'm not sure I understand your comment that "...its not the same as Walker's or Yates' moment in the sun but it's still a phenomenal achievement for those that follow that direction."

It's a new record and must have meant every bit as much to the captor as Clarissa did to Walker, The Bishop to Yates and Mary to Terry Hearn surely? I accept that there are so many huge carp around these days that the impact isn't as great perhaps.... Chris' record stood for well over a decade, yet when I caught my first fifty in 2006 there were four or five other fifties caught that same week! So I do accept that the carp scene is very different now.
I think you've answered it yourself Skeff :Hat: Nowadays we aren't surprised by the record falling in the way we once were.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i think your right about the rods skeff

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

True Dave.... I think I was expecting to be dismissive about the carp record when it fell next, but this capture has real merit and actually has me quite excited! I'm not sure why? I need to read the captors story and I really hope it's a tale of daring do, of an epic battle and of the thrill of fishing.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Very well put Skeff. Whilst I'm in full agreement about the rods I'm just wondering now if the parrot will be targeted when it is full of spawn. Yes it would be a new record again but would that be fair in other people's opinions?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

At what other weights has the carp been caught at, basically it capture history.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

It was caught in october 2013 by Matt Bryant at 62lbs 4oz and he said at the time that he'd been trying to catch it for 9 years. It was in the thirties when he joined the syndicate.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Not heard anyone mention they had heard Dean's account of this incredible capture so here is a link to Fisherman's Blues where he speaks about it. http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1453010400#

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Thanks Shaun - will listen later with a cuppa!

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”