Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Maggot's Dad

Re: Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Nobby wrote:It too thought Speedias were from Westley Richards, but it seems it's not so...just a coincidence of the initials W.R.
Hi Nobby, :Hat:

....now you have me confused... :Confused:

In the time that I've spent trying to find information regarding WR Products, I read that it was a "sideline venture" of Westley Richards which, as it didn't "get off the ground" and bring the money rolling in, was short lived.

If what you say is fact (not that I doubt your wisdom!), then the question once again rears it's head:

"Who were WR Products?".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I haven't a clue....

When it was gently pointed out to me that Speedias were not from Westley Richards, who are after all, a Birmingham firm, I did a bit more research, or rather I tried to...I got nowhere.

All we did discover was that WR Products seems to have operated out of a domestic three bedroom house in Shepherds Bush. The street has no commercial premises at all.

I think they must have been around for a while though, as Chavender has several early ones, I've seen images of others and there were at least two versions in mass production and the boxes indicate that there were four Marks, though I've onlty seen boxes saying Mark Two and Mark Four.

Westley Richards did make reels though, and to a very high standard.

They might have wanted to enter the cheaper end of the market incognito I guess, but then using the WR products is a bit too obvious.

I've yet to see Speedias in any catalogues....someone like Lee who carried so many products from other firms, and Allcocks too after the Noris shakespeare buy-out...but not a mention.

It's all a bit of a mystery...if it wasn't Westley Richards....who on Earth was it.......?

A recent article on a blog:

http://talesbytheriverbank.wordpress.co ... e-part-ii/

And the site it links to...which is of course our own Chavender's:

http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/406/WR ... -centrepin

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi Nobby, :Hat:

.... hmm .... the plot thickens.

All very interesting, I now find myself wondering about the source of the information and from where the reels were sold?
If they were only sold via dealers/tackle shops or the manufacturers, then where is the advertising and why is so little still known?
Further questions ........? :Confused: The mystery remains.

I fear that this original thread has been unintentionally "high-jacked" for long enough, for which I offer my sincere apologies. :Hide:

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

If its what you want keep it use it and enjoy owning it , money doesn't come into it , its if you can afford it and smuggle it past your wife :Hahaha: Regards Sir . Woolly Bear . :Thumb:

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”