Fred Taylor at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Re: Fred Taylor at Redmire

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello S S,

My memory is generally unreliable so try to cross-reference when possible, particularly dates, weights, times, etc. But no 'copious notes'.

Glad to learn you still enjoy reading 'Redmire Pool'.

Hello S G,

Re: Fred's wading incident: My reference make no mention of Dick Walker being present, just the three 'Taylor Bothers', but, there again, it doesn't say he wasn't there either. Plainly, it would appear that the inscriptions on the back of Chris Ball's photos suggest Dick was indeed present and, also likely that he did take these shots.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the picture information; much appreciated.

Besties,

Len.

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Len Arbery wrote:Hello S S,

Hello S G,

Re: Fred's wading incident: My reference make no mention of Dick Walker being present, just the three 'Taylor Bothers', but, there again, it doesn't say he wasn't there either. Plainly, it would appear that the inscriptions on the back of Chris Ball's photos suggest Dick was indeed present and, also likely that he did take these shots.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the picture information; much appreciated.

Besties,

Len.
Hi Len, I certainly couldn't have argued the point with you. All I knew for certain about that weekend was that neither Dick or the Taylor Brothers were at the hut. Dick had double booked it for the weekend and so my buddy and I shared it with Don Neish, Alan Vare and Peter Grundle. I don't remember any of us catching much, but we had a good weekend.
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello S G,

Cor! Those names from the past took me back a bit. Well, two of them at least:

Don Neish, of course, being the 'Don' of Don's of Edmonton, one of the foremost of North London's tackle shops. Bill Quinlan put me onto that shop not long after he and I first met, circa 1966-7. By that time, they'd sold out of Goddess blanks, but still had a few 10-10's remaining. This when the original shop was still operating; you know, that tiny shop across the street from their later emporium?

From time to time, Alan Vare worked in Don's, and it was he who first showed Jack Hilton the spade-end knot I still use to this day. Alan called it the Domhoff Knot, although later, we were told by another authority, it is actually the Overhand Whipping Knot.

Besties,

Len.

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Len Arbery wrote:Hello S G,

Cor! Those names from the past took me back a bit. Well, two of them at least:

Don Neish, of course, being the 'Don' of Don's of Edmonton, one of the foremost of North London's tackle shops. Bill Quinlan put me onto that shop not long after he and I first met, circa 1966-7. By that time, they'd sold out of Goddess blanks, but still had a few 10-10's remaining. This when the original shop was still operating; you know, that tiny shop across the street from their later emporium?

From time to time, Alan Vare worked in Don's, and it was he who first showed Jack Hilton the spade-end knot I still use to this day. Alan called it the Domhoff Knot, although later, we were told by another authority, it is actually the Overhand Whipping Knot.

Besties,

Len.

I still use that knot too, though it was Peter Grundle who showed me how to tie it. However, being as they fished together, I am sure that Alan was involved in the passing of information. I still use spade end hooks when I go carp fishing. I am sure that you and others here remember those blue fine wire hooks that Don and Alan Brown, (among other dealers of course) used to sell. They are a beautiful hook, though my supplies are beginning to run low. Are they still available in the UK? I found some in Malaysia last year, or at least they are similar, but thicker wire. Still a nice hook though.

Here is Alan's book on knots, it is a useful little book that was published in 1990. I have superimposed a couple of the hooks I mentioned on the cover. The one of the left is the fine wire hook I particularly like and the one on the right is the Malaysian look-a-like. Not only is it a thicker wire, but although it looks to be blued as the one on the left, I think it might be coated in some way.

At one time I viewed Don's as being my local tackle shop even though it was thirty miles away, but when Alan Brown opened up his shop in Hitchin, I could be there in about twenty minutes. I did a Google Earth search on 246 Fore Street, Edmonton and the larger of Don's shops shows, though it is obviously closed down.
Last edited by Sandgroper on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello S G,

Yes, I remember only too well the hooks you mention - we in the Herts-Chiltern called them something like 'Buzzies' - and I do still use them. I don't know whether or not they are still available in the UK. Some many years ago I found a supply of a hook if not exactly the same very close, and bought the lot. See picture below:

But am now down to my last box and these are size 4. See below:

If you agree they look similar to those originals, perhaps you might be able to source some using the details on the box. Hope this helps.

Besties,

Len.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Blimey that's a big 'ook :Chuckle:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Mushy,

Well, the fish I target have big mouths!

Joking aside; as said, this is my last box, all the smaller size hooks have been either discarded (if faulty) or used.

Besties,

Len.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I remember those hooks well and have just found a box of size tens. There is a modern equivalent, the Kamasan B983 which I find a good match.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Sandgroper - might this be the hook, listed on Mustad's web site? http://www.mustad.no/catalog/emea/product.php?id=86 If so then they might still be available.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I'm interested in the reference to 10-10s in the shop, Len - I knew it was a Hilton designed rod, which he used, but never knew they were on offer commercially. Did you buy one?

Return to “Redmire Pool”