New British carp Record perhaps....

This forum is for discussing carp.
Michael
Tench

Re: New British carp Record perhaps....

Post by Michael »

As one who's only landed carp, half that weight..... :Hat:
Last edited by Michael on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I would love to catch a Carp half that weight but then again I am not a Carp angler. Being honest, even if I was, I would still blank, fall in, hook trees, knock over my bait and tangle up!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Just read this somewhere else and thought it may be of interest to some...

Just seen comments about the Heritage of the Parrot from Wasing. I have fished the lake a few times as a guest and know Dean reasonably well in fact it was still in the net when I heard he had landed the fish. The lake is absolutely amazing, beautiful loads of wildlife and some great fish as well as the parrot. The Parrot was stocked as a 12lbs fish in 1997 by I think!!!! a guy called Graham Rowles but there are definitely pictures as it was stocked at 12lbs. It came from another Berkshire water where it grew from an egg. The mouth was already deformed at this point it is a birth defect rather than as a fishing related injury. It is as English as an Anglo-saxon except they were German.
Record could not have gone to a nicer guy Dean is a brilliant angler incredibly consistent and fishes a night a week proper working man. Will stop now sounds like I have developed a bit of a man crush I didn't realize I had. Will lock myself in a room with a load of girly mags until I am cured.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

A birth defect and born here, well that should clear some things up. Thanks for posting that Shaun. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Big fish! well done to Dean! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Just read this somewhere else and thought it may be of interest to some...

Just seen comments about the Heritage of the Parrot from Wasing. I have fished the lake a few times as a guest and know Dean reasonably well in fact it was still in the net when I heard he had landed the fish. The lake is absolutely amazing, beautiful loads of wildlife and some great fish as well as the parrot. The Parrot was stocked as a 12lbs fish in 1997 by I think!!!! a guy called Graham Rowles but there are definitely pictures as it was stocked at 12lbs. It came from another Berkshire water where it grew from an egg. The mouth was already deformed at this point it is a birth defect rather than as a fishing related injury. It is as English as an Anglo-saxon except they were German.
Record could not have gone to a nicer guy Dean is a brilliant angler incredibly consistent and fishes a night a week proper working man. Will stop now sounds like I have developed a bit of a man crush I didn't realize I had. Will lock myself in a room with a load of girly mags until I am cured.
Great info Shaun..... after you with the girlie mags :Wink:

Kev Parr
Perch

Post by Kev Parr »

Dave - not sure second hand girlie mags are really worth having....

As for the carp - what a fish! - and I can understand Skeff's excitement - this is no spawn or waterbound lump, but a fish that has defied the odds to become the biggest in the country. If it had been deformed through capture (which Shaun's post suggests otherwise) then it has still survived well enough to exceed 68 pounds in weight. Whereas if (as Shaun's post also suggests) the fish was deformed at birth, then despite recaptures it has still gone on to exceed 68 pounds in weight.

Either way, the fact that this fish has lived to become the biggest carp ever is credit to the people who have fished for it. There might be a few bad eggs that sit behind rod-pods and call themselves anglers, but carp anglers surely care more about the fish they catch than any other branch of angling - and as importantly, they scorn those that don't.

I think this fish is potentially the most symbolic (carp) since Yatesy caught the Bishop. It may have lived in a time of milder winters and signal crayfish, but to have lived so efficiently (and isn't it great to see pictures of a really long-framed fish?) is testament to the whole of carp angling.

Bravo.

PS
And despite my earlier comment....if those mags are any good Dave...please could you pass them on?

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Well said, Kev :Hat:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Dave Burr wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:Just read this somewhere else and thought it may be of interest to some...

Great info Shaun..... after you with the girlie mags :Wink:
Ditto, well said Kev.

Dave, I made the enquiry for you regarding the magazines but apparently the best pages have joined and stuck to those opposite them, so now hidden forever. :Scared:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I can't really get my head around a carp of this size from the UK, nor indeed any UK 60. Why is it so huge? - a rich, natural water, with lots of potential, or is it all down to relentless boilie-munching?
Well done to the captor, in any case.
It's a shame, though, that no one can really believe in monster carp in unknown natural waters anymore. The magic has gone, I suppose.
The last water with this kind of mystique, I guess, was Redmire - and I would like to believe the tales of the uncaught Redmire monsters, but now I'm not so certain. Why is it that absolute giants get caught elsewhere, but Redmire's claimed giants never actually graced the net?
I love Redmire, but I can't help but wonder, in my February mood.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”