List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Kevanf1 »

Nobby wrote:

The usual Ambidex story, bought another for spares, found it was SO good I couldn't strip it for bits and now I own two.

Which, as I've said elsewhere, is how we lost the dining room!
I was very much like this with Mitchells... I have actually lost count of how many 300/400/410 models and 204/206/208's I have. It seems that every shelf I look at in the bedroom or in my workshop has a Mitchell on it. If it's not a Mitchell then it's a Speedia (I bought loads years ago when the price was still very low). I've done the same in the past with rods. I'd buy a rod to remove the fittings and reuse on another that need refurbishment but then decided that I could actually refurbish that rod too. It can get a little silly :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

VFC/JIM,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but have been V.busy with organising the local S&TA AGM and getting the speaker etc. Happily it all went without a hitch...I must be getting better at this sort of thing? But it is still very time consuming!

So down to the business in hand.....

The Mark 3 is fairly common, with the unique split wire, full bale-arm but has so many variations of handle, spool and at least three different anti-reverse lever arrangements, it is very hard to categorise which is the 'standard model'. Also the casting of the body was cruder with sharp edges which Young's made chrome extras to compensate for. It was this different casting style of the body that is leading me to a fairly controversial conclusion that perhaps Young's did not make them but had 'farmed' the order out to another manufacturer on a reciprocal piece work arrangement....this seems to have been common practice amongst the leading British Tackle Manufacturers at the time. It is my belief that Reuben Heaton are the missing link in this supposition as I have looked at some paperwork that would tie in and corroborate this theory. Also one or two of the Tea Club have given the old 'nod's as good as a wink, to a blind bat' confirmation that I'm 'not far wrong!' I tell you getting information from these old scrots is like getting blood from a stone....the tea and cake costs are prohibitive!!!

The Mark Three was first made about 1953/54 and withdrawn in 1961. They are popular because a certain CY snagged the Bishop on a hybrid 'Bucket Special' in 1980....so the wannabees are always on the look out for them when they come up on the well known E market!

That the Delmatic should be considred the Mark 8 seems to be a fairly safe assumption and recognised by the Ambidex cognescenti*, as such. The elusive Mark One version of the Delmatic never went into production because Ted Young decided to fit a line roller to the bale arm....hence Mark Two. It is my belief there are still some Mark One Delmatics in existence and to all intents are exactly the same spec as the Mark Two minus the line roller in the bale arm....keep an eye out for these as they really are something for collectors to get in a 'tizzy' about!

The Mark 7 does exist and was launched in March 1963. They were originally the same body shape and solid handle arrangement as the Mark 5 but painted blue including the spool. I think Young's were trying to flog off the old bodies at an economy price before the Swan-Necked versions were launched in 1964. It was produced in relatively low numbers, hence harder to find. Most I have seen have not been in the best conditiion. There is a Swan-Necked Mark 7, launched in 1964 and is Bronze coloured. It had no line roller and a solid handle like the Mark 5.....I think they were trying to use up the old spare handles too, as the handles made after 1964 tended to be of the folding variety. This reel was not popular either and consequently made in small numbers and considered to be reasonably rare....I think it lost out to the Mark 6, a much nicer reel.

The Mark 9 was launched to the world in 1965, utilising the new Swan-Neck body found on the Marks 6, 7 and Delmatic. Unlike the Mark 6, the body was black with a blue flyer and a similar folding handle. The spool was deeper, to aid casting and boasted a capacity of 100yds of 20lb line. It was aimed at the 'big fish' market and was available until 1968. It is not that rare but again CY was photograped in various publications Barbel Fishing with this model so has become sought after by the many wannabees out there!

I have a nice Mark 9 but rarely use it because the line lay is not as good as the, to my mind, nicer Mark 6. I still use my Mark 6 reel a lot and it gives me pleasure to do so.

The Swan-Necked Mark 6 was the best of the Ambidexes, in my humble opinion but came out too late to unhinge the Mitchell hegemony of the 1960's and 70's?

I hope this makes sense and helps to clarify some points for any Ambidex afficianados out there. :ugeek:

Mole Power!!! :sun:

* A sad, loose collection of losers, of which I am one. You can always spot an Ambidex collector as they are prematurely aged, poor, due to attempting to own as many versions of each Mark as they can and prone to bouts of uncontrolled weeping brought about by futiley categorising their collection!
Say aye tae'a pie!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks for all that Moley.

Enormously helpful it still leaves me puzzling over my 'minter in a box ( It's even got the orange tissue paper still in there!)

It fits your description of a Mark Three perfectly, but the box says Mark Two FP. ( chrome cover to casting flue on the stem, two-piece 'flexible' bale arm.

Is there perhaps no difference between the Mark Two FP and a Mark Three?

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Brilliant stuff Moley - thanks so much. I am particularly intrigued that you consider the Mk 6 to be the pinnacle of this reel - for which I have a massive soft spot. For me the slope backs are more pleasing than the swan necks: so the Mark 6 slope or the very similar Deluxe (number 1) - either with the all metal reel - gets my vote.
Jim

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

VFC/JIM, only too pleased to be of help...I knew accumulating this knowledge had to be of use to someone!

I think we shall have to agree to disagree with regards to the various merits of the Sloped body versus the Swan-Neck. My belief is the Swan-Neck was such an 'outrageous' change to the normal body designs around at the time and worked. To me they are almost a piece of art....perhaps an overstatement but they are unique. The Mark 6 being the best of the rest!

St. Nobby, the nomenclature of Mark did not come in until the launch of the Mark 5 in 1961. Up to this date they were all Casting Reels, of the many varieties we all know and 'LOVE' and merely given the various Mark titles, in the very often futile attempt, to help distinguish/categorise them, by the 'Ambidex Losers' like me!

I suspect your reel is a No.2 Casting Reel Type Four which came in around the period 1954. The so called Mark Three had a quick release spool, as seen on the later Deluxe, with most having the tear shaped anti-reverse lever, although as previously stated I have personally seen three versions but would not be surprised if there was at least one other version out there!

So that would be the main distinguishing feature between the two 'Marks'....this would seem to be the easiest and most obvious, any more are merely subtle changes that as far as I can gather could indicate another maker, as stated in the previous missive. Even sadder, according to the Tea Club, they can distinguish the individual who made each and every Ambidex from the Young's stable by very subtle 'signatures' to be found in them all!!!!!!!!

This is not true, surely as it could lead to even more categories for the collector to look into?

I have a very horrible realisation that this could be the case though, especially as one of the 'scrots' claims to recognise his 'handiwork' in the Yates Special, the Bishop Tamer no less with the other old so and so's backing him up in this!!!!

By the way FP stands for Flexible Automatic Pick-Up and 'Surprise, Surprise' there are even small changes in this design which can indicate if it is an earlier version or not and worse who made it!!!

Where will it all end........?

Hence why I mentioned the prolonged and unexpected bouts of weeping to be found amongst serious Ambidex Afficianados...to be known henceforth as LOSERS!

Walk away now St Nobby before it is too late. There is still time I hope for you?

As for me I am already in Dante's Inferno, knocking on the very Gates of Hell........( accompanied by distant sounds of insane laughter!)

Matron has got the 'very tight jacket' in constant readiness?

Mole Power!!! :tongue:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I did do a little stripdown and rebuild on a Mark 2 FP here:

http://www.thepathbythewater.net/bb_tpb ... ?f=4&t=705

[/quote]

Hi Guys
I bought a mark six a while ago from ebay, when it arrived it was incredibly stiff and unusable and as I'd only paid a fiver for it it became an ornament. I'd like it to become a 'user', how would I go about it? Take it all apart and... ...?

Thanks in advance guys...

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Scott, I don't know how experienced you are at servicing reels so will assume, rightly or wrongly, that you are not. I apologise in advance if this maligns your skills.

I would suggest, therefore, before you set to stripping the reel completely, that you find a good surface to work on and ensure that you give yourself the time to do a good job without having to tidy away, with the task incomplete...this is the way bits get lost believe me!

It should also be a consideration not to undertake this work if you can't remember the sequence of part removal, as it is no use stripping the reel out like St Nobby does and then find you have a very small part left over on the re-build.

Perhaps as a starter may I suggest that you leave the handle on and only remove the side plate to have a look-see. As you will swiftly notice there does seem to be a lot of parts in there.....

Having braved this part try to see if your reel is merely gunged-up, a technical term, with solid old gear oil or the gears are stripped. If it is merely 'gunge' use a small screwdriver, or similar, to remove the excess to let the 'dog see the rabbit' so to speak. If all looks well use a proprietry flushing oil/grease remover found in most car parts shops. WD40 if used liberally will do. Try to get as much gunge out as possible and see if the gearing will move....it should, as Ambidexes were well made and built to last.

If not, you may have a more serious problem as a part might need replacing, which to be honest is a job for the experts. It really depends how confident you are. A full strip down usually is not needed though!

If it is just a case of old grease jamming the reel, reapply new grease sparingly after you have got as much of the old gunge out as possible. A paper tissue really is a godsend here for geting the excess gunge out and wiping the screwdriver on!

If the gearing seems to work, which it should, replace the side plate, ensuring the spool oscillation parts are re-engaged; you know goes in and out like it is meant to when the handle is gently turned. If not ease the handle round, wind it, slowly without forcing, holding the side plate very gently in place until it does!

NEVER FORCE OR HURRY!

If you do it could ruin the Reel.

Most damaged Ambidexes I have seen have not been done through normal use but by some hamfisted repairs...believe me when I say some people think brute force is the answer to every problem. Sadly for them it is not!

If all is well rescrew the plate back on. Liberally oil the rest of the reel, especially the spring in the bale arm, and do this regularly so the Ambidex will give you reliable service. Remember do not over grease your reel as the same prioblem will re-occur at a later date....probably when a monster is on the other end!

I hope this is easy to follow and I'm sure there will be further expert advice from others if you come a cropper?

Ohh, got to go as it is time for tea and cakes.....Fondant Fancies, YUM, YUM!

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Cheers Moley, I'll give it a go...

Snoekjaeger

Post by Snoekjaeger »

Hi,

I'll introduce myself first, I am from Belgium and am a fishing tackle collector, I have been working with some people for their books on the subject (Ben Wright/Marco Malavasi/etc), expecially about fixed spool spinning reels. As a member of the Dutch Angling Collectors Association (VVHV/DACA) I have published some articles about vintage fishing tackle. I also like to use the old tackle for fishing.

The Ambidex has always interested me but I have never gotten to study it.
Recently I got this one (see pics) and would like to know a little more about is, what type it is, dating, etc
Details : :
- it is not yet LTD so I suppose it is pre late-1947
- no nr/anti-reverse/half bail so I think it is a first model
- the dragnut has the words "The Ambidex Casting reel" and "tension/increase/..."
- spool is marked JWY170 and A and SA24
- the parts inside are not numbered unless I was looking in the wrong places..
- it says PROV PATENT so it is pre the actual patent (dated ?)
JeanPaul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Hi JeanPaul - and welcome to the forum! Your reel looks to me to be an original casting reel "Type 2" (using Attwood's nomenclature). The patent for the ambidex was granted in late 1946 so your reel will date before this. The key (external) defining feature to distinguish from the Type 1 is the line drum "JWY 170" - the Type 1 has "SA 24" instead. There will be some other internal minor differences too.

Regards
Jim

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”