B.James Stepped up MKIV - Advice needed please on this one

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Julian
Salmon

B.James Stepped up MKIV - Advice needed please on this one

Post by Julian »

I would like to buy a vintage stepped-up MKIV cane rod to fish with from next spring.
I would like to buy one that is 'ready to go' - ie no work on it required.
Minor cosmetic 'faults' that obviously have no effect on its performance are of no concern to me, I just need to be in very good condition and ready to take out on the bank.

I have never bought any vintage tackle from Ebay or any other secondhand item from Ebay , so I would really appreciate the advice from those far more knowledgeable than me on whether you think the following rod would be a good buy for me or not.
So please have a look at this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-b-jam ... 4179873236

Maybe some of you even know the seller.
Should I make an offer?
Should I go for the 'buy now' option
( I note there is no 'bid' option to choose ?)

The seller lists five 'bad points' about the rod.
However he has already fixed points 1 and 2.
Point 3 is completely irrelevant to me.
Points 4 and 5 are purely cosmetic and I have no concerns about them.

Is this a god buy or not ?
Last edited by Julian on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: B.James Stepped up MKIV - Advice needed please on this o

Post by Beresford »

Well it's straight and the ferrule is good. As the seller states it's a bit of a muddle aesthetically and I've seen better but if that doesn't bother you then make an offer. I wouldn't pay £250 for it but you may not have to. You are allowed to make three offers. If they fail and you still want it use the buy it now but I'd think hard about spending what I think is a bit over the odds given the condition.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Beresford wrote:Well it's straight and the ferrule is good. As the seller states it's a bit of a muddle aesthetically and I've seen better but if that doesn't bother you then make an offer. I wouldn't pay £250 for it but you may not have to. You are allowed to make three offers. If they fail and you still want it use the buy it now but I'd think hard about spending what I think is a bit over the odds given the condition.
Thanks Beresford
What do you think is actually wrong with the condition ( a bit of a muddle ?) - ie why is it not really worth £250?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

For a fairly rare rod it looks ok. Its not in A1 condition but needs a little work to make it fishable. £150ish would me a more accurate price for me but they dont come up often so if you want one you dont have much choice. Remember a mint one from a dealer will be £300+ but will offer more piece of mind that ebay if I was looking for a mimt rod I would wait for one to be avalible from a dealer.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Decide on the maximum price you want to pay and offer lower because he has the option to make a counter offer straight back at you, and invariably sellers do.
niceroach

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

The rod in question was previously listed at £350 - the new BIN price is perhaps reflective of earlier offers - good luck if you decide to bid :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Alarm bells ringing here. I think two different rods have been photographed. Check out the butt rings – they are different. One with nice dark ruby silks shows the correct pattern but the other photos, including the one of the whole rod, show a different non original style of ring whipped in a brighter red. I think pictures three and five are of a different rod.

I'd look into that first but personally having seen that I'd walk away to a safe distance and look for another one.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Two of the pictures wern't taken on the glass table so what he ^ said
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

Looks dodgy to me
Ask him to explain the difference in pictures also the transfer looks bad to me.
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

As Robbi says ... the details clearly state :-

"2, solder had broken off on one side of butt guide ( but has now been changed and re-whipped and re-varnished )"
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”