Fred Taylor at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Pyrethrum5
Dace

Fred Taylor at Redmire

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

I've just read Roger Bowskill's article in the July 1968 edition of 'Angling' (with Creel) entitled 'Can "Clarissa" be deposed...?" and he states the following:

"The last we heard of the place was Fred Taylor's 1,000-hour fishless vigil..."

This is quite an astonishing fact. Is this really true and did he ever break his Redmire duck??

Best wishes,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Fred Taylor at Redmire

Post by Gary Bills »

Fred J wrote about this in his chapter for "Carp Inspirations," a book which was put together and edited by Rod Hutchinson.
He said: "It is well known that I never hooked and landed a carp from Redmire. What is perhaps not so well known is that for much of the time we were unable to fish because of the thick surface weed....I can hear some of today's youngsters saying among themselves: 'Hell, they weren't up to it...'
"How they would have coped with 6 inches of blanket sum on the surface is beyond my imagination..."

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Plus Fred spent most of his time cooking and tending camp and I gather he didn't fish at night - or am I making that last bit up?

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Hi Dave,

I've heard and read that the esteemed Mr Taylor is a bit of a legend when it comes to feeding the hungry hordes. I think he would produce amazing feasts requiring special earth ovens and even baking bread? But then again I might have made that up too...?! :Hahaha:

Regards,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

FJT used to write a weekly piece in The Shooting News often about cooking "wild food" and he was foraging many years before that word became trendy.I have somewhere his cookery book in which he explains the techniques of cooking animals and fish that he had caught.I think he visited Australia a few times and picked techniques of using a "billy can" and his recipe for making a damper is superb especially when made and eaten outdoors.A lot of our young non traditional carp fishing friends could learn something from FJT.They seem to live on "Pot Noodle" and other nasty stuff.I was shocked to read of a carp fishery in Cheshire where you could get Indian & Chinese Takeaways delivered to your swim as well as pizzas and kebabs.I am very old!
Mark Davies

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

And, of course, he was probably the first modern angler to use the hair rig...ten years before Middleton and Maddocks...

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

There is a lovely story about FJT in Len Arbery's superb book 'Ripples and Reflections' from L-E-P, specifically the chapter entitled 'Redmire 1986'.

I hope Len doesn't mind me writing a few lines by way of taster as I know he visits the TFF occasionally....

" I'd no sooner cast out than Fred crept along to tell me dinner was ready. This was a new and novel experience to me, somebody else doing the cooking for me! I retrieved the tackle and retraced Fred's steps back to the car parking area. What my eyes fell on there astonished and dumbfounded me; Fred had transformed the area; two shallow depressions had been excavated in the soil and in each oval, fire blackened devices (which I was soon to learn were Dutch ovens) nestled on a bed of red-hot charcoals. Seats were strategically placed and from out of the Dutch Ovens Fred produced a meal such as I've never seen before whilst fishing, and I doubt whether I shall see the like again - unless Fred is there to prepare it. Kevin and I held out our plates not really knowing what to expect; out of one oven Fred conjured a roasted rabbit, and let me assure you it was delicious. Then, would you believe it, from out of the second oven, Fred produced freshly baked crusty bread. 'Damper', he called it. We washed this lot down with wine and beer, which was also home made by Fred for the occasion, and was strong enough to blow one's hat off."

"If anything breakfast was more substantial than the previous evening's dinner had been: sausages, mutton chops, gameburgers, followed by toast and marmalade and at least a gallon of tea from the big, black billycan"

What an incredible tale - I'd dearly have loved to have been on that guest list!!!

Feeling a bit peckish no. Might go and see what's in the fridge :drool:

Best wishes

Mark

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

I can't add to the personal reminiscences of FJ's cooking, but he was a professional chef. In the final chapter of 'Angling in Earnest' he gives sensible advice about eating whilst camping/fishing (and what not to eat!).

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

FJT used to have a regular spot on the Midlands 'ATV' (now ITV) local evening news programme. There would be Terry Thomas on a Friday doing the fishing with FJT offering a wild food delicacy :) I believe he also wrote some purely cookery books too. I do recall him cooking things like jugged hare and there was also a mention of hedgehog rolled in clay and cooked on a camp fire. I doubt that was actually shown on air though...
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Firstly, 'Fred J's' culinary skills at Redmire:

This picture is of Fred actually preparing breakfast in Redmire's car parking area. The lidded device in the foreground is one of Fred's cast iron Dutch Ovens. The wire-mesh filing basket was Fred's grill for toast, etc.

The occasion being when Fred invited me to act as his (non-fishing) chauffer and general skivvy. The other anglers present being the late Colin Dyson (owner and editor of Coarse Angler magazine) and Tim Paisley. (Circa 1989).

Can't recall Fred ever saying he was a professional chef. What he did mention: In World War II, during the desert campaign, the company's cook was killed and Fred, having bakery experience, volunteered to temporarily take over. A position that, undoubtedly due to Fred's skill, became permanent.

Secondly, in my next post, will have something to say re: 'Fred J's' Redmire blank.

Besties,

Len.

Return to “Redmire Pool”