Jim Eggett's Lakes

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Pyrethrum5
Dace

Jim Eggett's Lakes

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Fellow TFFs,

I've been flicking through some old magazines and came across an article by Bill Keal in the July 1967 edition of Angling (with Creel). The title of the article is 'Jim Eggett's Lakes'. The lake complex is located at Hemingford Grey and once produced a British record Tench.

Does anybody know more about this lake complex? Particularly, is there a more recent name for this fishery?

Kind regards,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Jim Eggett's Lakes

Post by AshbyCut »

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I had a couple of holidays there back in the 1960s and '70s.

At that time Jim Eggetts bungalow overlooked the smaller of the two lakes and this had three or four holiday lets. His son had a house overlooking the larger lake which has a load of small islands and gravel bars. Looking at Google Earth it still looks familiar.

I'm not sure how to reference this but 52 19'25.41" N 0 05' 50.73" W on Google Earth is a spot on Meadow Lane with the smaller lake to the left and the larger lake to the right.

The last I heard there was a syndicate fishing the larger lake but that was a long time ago.

Pete

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NTIuOTI5M ... UyNTIwVw==

I used to fish Mr Copley's (Waterways as it was called in Carp Fever) which is the one south of the main 3. There was Coppley's, then 'The Bird Lake' and then Egget's. When Mr Coppley's house was sold the new owners turned it into a place for birds with strictly no angling. Not too sure about Egget's now. I know Kevin Maddock's fished it a bit (incidentally he caught his first 20 lb carp from Mr Coppley's). Not helping much other than I might have been able to post a link for you if it works from Bing Maps.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Well, the link worked but you need to click on The arrow at the side of 'Birds Eye' and then select 'Arial' for the best view.

I use Bing maps a lot myself. A very useful site. Right click and 'add a push pin' anywhere on the map and it will give you directions from your home.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Thanks to you all for your input in this - when I get a chance I'll try and post the article. There's some nice atmospheric photos accompanying it including a near 30lb pike, some carp and a brace of 6lb+ tench.

Regards,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Hi,

Here's the photos (and article) I described in my earlier post.

Kind regards.

PS For a hard copy of this article you can find my original copy on e-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331130490519? ... 1558.l2649

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Many thanks for posting that.

"holiday chalets" :Hahaha: :Hahaha: One was a Nissen hut and another appeared to be one of those concrete huts you used to see alongside the railways. Still, they were great lakes at the time and I enjoyed staying there a lot.

Pete

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

No problem Craycane - happy that the article sent you back to its banks once more after all these years :Thumb:

Sorry you had to read it lying on your side though :Hahaha: Perhaps Mark can work his magic and flip the last picture around for me.

All the best,

Mark

AEggett

Post by AEggett »

Hello all
I thought I would update you on grandad (Jim Eggett) and the lakes at Hemingford Grey. Woburn Close (the bungalow, land and lakes) was sadly sold some years ago. Grandad went to live with my parents - over the road at High Meadows where the other lakes mentioned are situated. The huts and chalets were demolished by the new owner apart from one wooden one which they retained and one which we dismantled as much as we could and rebuilt at High Meadows for Grandad to fish from. The bungalow was demolished as well and replaced with what can only be described as a travel lodge! The lakes at High Meadows are fished by a small private syndicate.

I have very happy memories of Nana and Grandad and of course the lakes and fishing huts. I hope some of you have too. We have lots of press cuttings and pictures at home of various fish caught at Woburn Close and the anglers who caught them. Best wishes to you all - Annette Eggett

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”