monofilament for Centrepins

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Rockland
Minnow

monofilament for Centrepins

Post by Rockland »

Rightly or wrongly i have my line off the top of the spool and have often wondered what is the best brand for use with a centrepin reel Presumably one with low memory as i often have line spring off the spool ,if by magic,and wrappping itself round the reel seat !wondered if any of trotters on the site have same problem.The best line i did try was Stroft but its quite epensive.Thanks chaps

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: monofilament for Centrepins

Post by Santiago »

A chap I know that use to use stroft for fly fishing as a hook link, he thought it was the bees knees, but now he's back using maxima! Same with centrepins! Maxima!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I get it every time I fish in a side-wind that crosses my body towards my rod hand (right to left, but I'm a southpaw).
It isn't usually the line, but its management. If you're Wallis casting in the wrong sort of wind, turn your wrist, towards the end of the cast, so the reel is handles-down and any slack that does mysteriously escape the magical thumb control will (OK, should) fall off the face of the spool and not the back. Slack line is your enemy!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I like and use Maxima on my Centrepins. If your line comes from the top of the spool and it over runs the line knocks against the cork handle and tangles around the reel. If the line comes from the bottom of the spool and over runs it falls downwards towards the deck normally , unless your line is embedded due to overfilling of course. That is why I have my line coming off the bottom of the spool, and the fact that I feel that I am back winding if it came off the top. :Hat: Reedling.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Maxima or Drennan Supplex are both great lines, personally I always have the line coming off the bottom and never overfill the reel,you only need 50yds realistically.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

Maxima for me too.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

A maximum of 50 yards of Drennan floatfish, I prefer the line coming of the top (just personal preference) and believe that the line is then not so susceptible to wind as it is directly aligned with the first ring (I also detest line guards and never use them). The only time, apart from preference to which way you want to wind, I'd have the line coming off the bottom is that I find it easier for 'Wally' casting - then again, if there were decent f/s reels about in his day FK would probably never have bothered popularising the Nottingham cast................... :Wink:
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Funny how Maxima...the sinking line beloved of waggler fishing advocates is so popular on centrepins, used for trotting when you want a floating line....

If it is for stillwater fishing Maxima is fine though....and although it takes a memory it is one of the few lines that can be stretched again to get rid if the memory totally. ( so can fluorocarbon but that's another story )

If it is for trotting there are some superb braids now..not cheap though and they do catch the wind....

Otherwise Drennan Floatfish is popular ( it's actually Bayer-Perlon line ), Stroft, Silstar Match line ( until recently called WB Clarke ) or I'm rather fond of Gardner Hydroflo

I didn't think Stroft was any more expensive than other quality hooklengths...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... sacat=1492

Three times the quantity though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... sacat=1492

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Drennan or maxima, off the bottom of the centre pin, 50 yds absolute maximum....

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I use all sorts on my pins and often more than 50 yards as trotting on the Wye can take you a long, long way. To avoid the line going around the back on a cast I hold the line in my left hand and let it run around my crooked middle finger on the cast, as the float/weight is landing I bring the left hand back under the rod and it all (if you time it properly) settles into place. When trotting a little braking on the tine keeps it all tickety-boo.

As Nobby so rightly said, floating line for top and bottom floats, sinking for wagglers. You can chop and change a line by adding a floatant or by degreasing the line to make it sink with washing up liquid or Fullers earth.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”