WHAT IS THE MOST UNUSUAL PLACE YOU HAVE EVER FISHED?

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Caractacus Potts
Roach

Re: WHAT IS THE MOST UNUSUAL PLACE YOU HAVE EVER FISHED?

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Old Man River wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:45 pm In 1972 I was in the Army and posted to Berlin, we used to carry two man armed patrols,in Landrovers, checking the state of the wall, using observation Points so we could look over the wall and see waht was going on the other side, plus other duties as well.

We also patrolled the “wire” which many have never heard of, the “wire “ was where the wall entered the countryside around Berlin, it went through woodland , farmland and forest. The forest had many manmade overgrown ditches, some up to 20 feet wide, these ditches were never cleared, were quite shallow in places, weeded up in others, but they all contained Tench , as nobody except us ever went in to the areas we patrolled it was a fairly easy for myself and my oppo Gary to pop a rod and reel, plus some worms and end gear in the back of the Landy and have a short fishing session during either the day or night. The Tench were not big, probably a couple of pounds or so, but were great fun on the gear we had, we always found it strange that we never ever saw any other species of fish , just the Tench .

It was a bit bizarre fishing and carrying our side arms and SMG”s over our shoulders, and hearing the East German border guards driving along the opposite side of “The wire” when we were busy with the Tench .

I am not sure exactly what our officers would have thought if they knew what we were up to .

I have some photos somewhere, must dig them out .

:Chuckle: :Chuckle:

David
Fantastic !!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The Grand Harbour in Malta when I were nobbut a tot.. circa 1961/2... caught bootlace eels which my mum gave to the locals to thicken their soups and stews
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

I don't know if it would have been unusual but would now.
As kids we would fish the Thames off of the steps along from the London Eye. Used to trot for Roach & eels.
Never seen anyone else from there.
A few years back had seen on a programme 2 people fishing opposite Houses of Parliament with sea fishing gear,a bit of a over kill.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

When I was around eight years old during the long summer holidays. I had this daft idea of fishing down a drain on our estate.
I wasn't strong enough to pull the heavy iron slotted grid open so I tackled up and lowered my shotted float, hook and worm into the oil slicked water bellow, squinting for the least little dip on the little red float.
It wast long before my mum came down and dragged me away from my swim!
That evening after my dad came home from work he took me fishing down " our Perch lake" we called it. And we did catch some lovely Perch.

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It would be a disused WW2 aerodrome near York back in the early seventies, in a small square pond that was once a sellar, that still contained the sump of a big engine, possibly a big old generator. Me and my friend fished there for great crested newts, with worms tied to cotton. Said newts lived in the submerged engine sump and we caught them by lowering a worm down past the entrance of the sump. A bite was detected by a simple pull, then we allowed the newts a few seconds to swallow a bit of the worm before we pulled them out. This basement was only about 4' x 6, and we had to stand on the top of the sump just above the water, in order to get the worm in the feeding zone'. Needless to say, it was a great introduction to the art of fishing with minimal gear. All newts were safely returned!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Wandle1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 pm Sparrowhawk,i will look out for that book thanks..

I also remember about Crafthole being over run ,i cant put this anyway other but ..............even human spittle was taken off of the top,which was not good ..

We moved on ......there was also a bit in the letters pages about it once,in Carpworld and the bailiff at the time was not a happy laddy as he was doing his best..........coupla lads in the village had the `secret`even though it is not a secret :Chuckle: .....
After reading through this interesting thread ( a few sittings) I thought I would look the book up... just ordered one... very reasonable!
Amazing what crops up.

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Thameside wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:48 pm I don't know if it would have been unusual but would now.
As kids we would fish the Thames off of the steps along from the London Eye. Used to trot for Roach & eels.
Never seen anyone else from there.
A few years back had seen on a programme 2 people fishing opposite Houses of Parliament with sea fishing gear,a bit of a over kill.
Used to be plenty of eels and flounders caught there but the main thing they would have been fishing for would be bass, i've seen them around docklands to well over 5lbs.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The most unusual place I've fished is America. The people are all mad, insular, and think that debate means having more guns than the opponent. They think better is bigger in everything, and many of them support Trump. Unusual? I'd say if I had a dog that 'unusual' it would be an alligator.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:03 am The most unusual place I've fished is America. The people are all mad, insular, and think that debate means having more guns than the opponent. They think better is bigger in everything, and many of them support Trump. Unusual? I'd say if I had a dog that 'unusual' it would be an alligator.
years ago I was visiting my American distributor in Chicago. He suggested we had a " boys" evening and we drove to one his friends and went down in his basement which was a rifle range. A couple of others arrived with large bags which whem opened revealed colt 45, luger and assault rifles! scared the life out of me. As the man said " two nations divided by a common language"

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:03 am The most unusual place I've fished is America. The people are all mad, insular, and think that debate means having more guns than the opponent. They think better is bigger in everything, and many of them support Trump. Unusual? I'd say if I had a dog that 'unusual' it would be an alligator.
A bit of generalisation going on there Dave, I have two very good friends who are Yanks, are both sane, neither hold a gun licence and neither would vote for dear old Donald, both love their angling at home and over here… bigger and better never seem to be words they use and if I may point out, if wasn’t for their forefathers we’d all be speaking German :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”