Advice on tightening a spindle

The Speedia Reels forum.
Buller
Rudd

Advice on tightening a spindle

Post by Buller »

I was out fishing with a recently acquired Speedia (my second) a few days ago and although the reel was tight and spinned perfectly at the start of the session, after a while it became very wobbly. When I removed the spool I noticed that the spindle had developed a slight amount of sideways play. I turned the spindle and the nut on the back of the reel in opposite directions and this seemed to tighten the spindle and reduce the play. The reel was fine for a while but soon began to wobble again (same problem). Can anyone advise me what I should do to fix this issue permanently. The nut at the back of the reel has two small ports which look like they could accommodate some sort of wrench for tightening? I look forward to your responses.
Bull

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Advice on tightening a spindle

Post by Nobby »

Yes I think they had such a tool, indeed early versions had a similar looking 'pill with two holes' on the spool too.

The problem I forsee, is holding the spindle tightly, without damaging it in some way, whilst the 'pill' is tightened. Once you do work out how to do that I's use a drop of threadlock liquid, such as Loctite offer, on the threads to revent a reoccurence.

To tighten the pill you might make up a temporary tool by gripping two drill bits, unground ends down protruding by no more than the depth of the two holes in the pill, in a pair of Mole Grips ( called vise grips in America, I think...not sure about SA).

Gripping the centrepin? Do it with another pair of Mole grips, grasping it in a place mid-way up that is NOT a bearing surface. Afterwards any gouges can be dressed down again with a fine-toothed file.

I don't think you'd have to tighten that much, especially if using a locking compound, and that means the Mole grips don't have to be used too cruelly on the centrepin...hopefully!

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Nobby's method is of course ingenious,
but maybe you can find a small fitting adjustable pinwrench
or some circlip pliers might work also

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Beat me to it, look on flea bay, huge selection......

Buller
Rudd

Post by Buller »

Many thanks for the advice guys. I thought of gripping the spindle with a piece of rubber inner tube after removing all grease. I figured that might provide an effective, more gentle solution.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i use circlip pliers when i can find them.but have resorted to wrapping the spindle with masking tape and holding it with a pair of worn (teeth worn down) pliers and another pair on the rear nut (hand tight then a little nip up) .the spindle is the one too be most carefull with ,the rear nut can stand a little scuffing.don't over tighten it or you could strip the threads on the rear nut.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

for sensible gripping I have a set of lead backing (shoes? jaws?) for my vice, that takes the dent, not the spindle

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, we call them 'jaws' in the UK, Paddex. There's a similar two-holed 'pill' inside a Hardy Altex and I do use a straight pair of curclips to get at those.

I don't think I've ever seen a pin wrench before :oops: That is surely just what the had at Boscombe Road.

Buller
Rudd

Post by Buller »

Okay team here's some feedback: This morning I purchased a pair of circlip pliers and Locktite superglue. I gripped the spindle with smooth jaw pliers over some serious layers of masking tape and turned the brass nut on the cage with the pliers. This was after administering a drop of Locktite (which sharpens the senses as one has a few seconds to complete the operation!). Then came the test: Winding 600m of 7lb line onto the reel. The spool in the bucket method works brilliantly! We'll, 600m, I worked out, equates to 4 cranks per meter (Why I love pins), which equates to 2400 cranks! So, it looks like this issue is solved and I thank you all for your input.
Bull
Last edited by Buller on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

What is this bucket method you speak of ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Return to “Speedia Reels”