Superb

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Superb

Post by Nobby »

Another two piece Superb whipped in red has turned up.

http://www.thepathbythewater.net/bb_tpb ... f=2&t=1625

It could be a twin of yours, Dave. Clearly the Allcocks Guides are in error, or the rod had a very short life between the Guide being printed and the Catalogue coming out....or vice-versa.

1964 label like yours of course.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

£20? Good grief!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yeah..don't you just hate him! :Cursing:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Hate is a strong word Nobby ........ but Yes! :Angry:

:Happy:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well I had the unusual opportunity to waggle both a Superb and a New Superb at the same time. yesterday The Superb in question was the uncatalogued, red whipped model we have mentioned here before...not the green-whipped catalogued one.

I had no way to measure anyhting, but dimensions looked identical....though the Superb felt far the better rod, possibly just down to the cane quality. Same rings same everything...bar the transfer and I could just make out that the words were an added on transfer, not part of the main 'badge'.

It rather looks as though they are indeed the same rod, Allcocks simply deciding, but not recording, that the heavilly changed rod ( from the original catalogued Superb that is ) needed a new name.

By 'eck...they don't half bend! That's the shallowest taper I have ever seen...even thinner than a Mark IV Avon.

The taughter Superb in question has already accounted for a 6lb carp and coped....the later New Superb has yet to be fished by its new owner and came home with me to have the loose ferrule re-set. It already feels a lot better, but clearly the quality varied, but a good one is a fine rod and a right laugh to use too provided you don't look at the bend in it......... :shocked:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mine have different rings Nobby, the Superb having larger ones. They do bend but delightfully so :Happy: and they always come back straight.

If you ever get down here to the Wye Nobby you can use mine and feel what a barbel is like on one (hopefully), :Thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A barbel on a Superb??!! Well, that's one way of inspecting your tip ring close up Dave. Will all the varnish fall off?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Don't you worry mate, they are far more suited than you might believe, come and have a go and see for yourself :Wink:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Rod Turner wrote:Image

I have just purchased this rod in near new condition, it is indeed a powerful rod. I have seen previous posts regarding the superb and new superb, but they seem to be either avon or carp/avon versions. Does anyone have this A175 three piece carp rod? Also can anyone confirm the date that the rod appeared in a catalogue?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I checked...rod isn't in the 1959, but is in the 1961 Guide.

But it's replaced by the New Superb in the Guides in 1965.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”