Tinca Tinca - Part II

This forum is for discussing tench.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Tinca Tinca - Part II

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I thought I would have a walk around the lake and see how busy it was, I don’t usually fish at weekends, particularly a Bank Holiday. Naturally I took some tackle !

To my surprise there was only one other angler. It would have been rude not to join him. I chose my swim and sat down to set my rod and reel up. Last trip I forgot the bait. This time I had left the reel at home. It only took five minutes to pop home and get it.

I decided to use the same method as last week, free-lined luncheon meat in the lilies with a sight bob about 3 feet up the line. It didn’t work because a swan zeroed in on the sight bob every cast.

I didn’t want to risk hooking a swan so I had to think of another approach. The other angler had caught a couple of tench on ledgered maggots so I thought I would try a bait on the bottom. I was using a Bruce and Walker Mk IV G, a Mitchell 300 and new Drennan sinking 5.6lb bs line straight through to a size 8 barbless hook. I put some sinking putty on the line about 12” away from the bait and cast to the edge of the lilies.

Nothing happened for an hour and then out of the blue, the indicator shot up to the rod and a tench was hooked. It fought hard and weighed about 4lb 8oz.

After that I added a piece of crust to the luncheon meat paste to balance it and the bites became more regular and I got into a routine, landing another five tench all about 3-4lb.

I put some mashed bread and crumbed luncheon meat (flavoured with Tutti Frutti) into the swim next to the lilies. A couple of casts later I hooked into a much bigger fish. It fought well and I was glad of the power in the rod. The tench weighed 6lb 8oz and as it was exhausted, I returned it without a photo.

As the sun went down the swim went quiet, the breeze had a bit of a chill and I decided to pack up. Seven tench, sunshine, peace and quiet; just the job.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Tinca Tinca - Part II

Post by LuckyLuca »

Sounds like a great outing SS! Especially since you didn't plan to fish. I wish I had tench like that on my doorstep!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

LuckyLuca,

Yes, when I left home I said I might be back in 30 minutes because I expected the lakes to be very busy. I think everyone went to the beach or stayed at home to cut the grass :-)

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

That's a result on a Bank Holiday weekend ! maybe they were all at the Point to Point, like me !, or were put off by the cold north wind, so well done, that lake does look lovely :Wink: and great photos as usual !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Mushy,

Did you go to Pepper Harrow ? I went for a couple of years but got fed up with the parking arrangements. The wind dropped about 12.00 and it was very hot, chilly evening though :-)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done SS.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Yes SofaSurfer, parking was well organised, however patience needed on the way home ! good afternoon out meeting up with many friends, not one winner though :Thumbsdown::
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Mushy,

Last time I went to Pepper Harrow I bet on a horse called Baron Bay which romped home furlongs ahead of the field and the bookie bad me out double by mistake - result ! :-)
Last edited by Nigel Rainton on Sat May 03, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Nice one SS :Hahaha: , they made a packet today I reckon, especially from me !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Superb SS - a red leter day for anyone - there are now so few nice pools where you can plan to catch tench and catch several in one session :Hat:

In the past it used to be easy - now one or two decent tench is a good day at many waters. Back in the
early 80's my best tench catch was 33 tench in a morning - and that wasn' t considered anything special then.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”