An unusual Aspindales rod

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Crucian
Eel

An unusual Aspindales rod

Post by Crucian »

Can anyone throw any light on a recent purchase please?

It's a 3 piece all built cane rod, 9' long. It is a later rod with the gold foil 'Dalesman' label, above which is hand written, in a typical Aspindales hand, the 'MINIdale' No5 9'. The rod has definitely not been restored. It weighs 7.5 ounces

Luckily, I have the full history from the gentleman who sold it to me. His father had ordered a rod from Aspindales in around 1963. Having been told it was ready to collect, he arrived to find the rod had gone missing and couldn't be found. He was offered this rod as a replacement which he accepted and was told it was a 'special edition'.

I suspected initially that it had been built on a fly blank, but it doesn't have the typical through action of a fly rod. It has a fairly steep taper with a pronounced tip action. The tip is quite the finest I have seen on a cane rod, being just a tad over 2mm with varnish. Compare this to my early 'lucky Strike' at 2.6mm with varnish. Looking at the amount of dirt on the handle, the rod has seen a lot of use...how on earth has a tip as fine as this survived, and it is still perfectly straight.

I am delighted with the rod, missing it's rubber button and one of it's reel fittings, but if necessary I will turn one up to suit.
Simply can't wait to use it, it'll be lovely for dace and grayling.

Any information appreciated, thanks.

Crucian
Eel

Re: An unusual Aspindales rod

Post by Crucian »

Image Image Image Image Image Image

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Looks like a lovely little wand Crucian . Ideal for small streams and brooks . No fear of you getting wrist ache at the end of a days fishing because of the lightweight nature of the rod.

I have something similar but 10' long built by Steve Wooley of Fosters of Ashbourne called the Perfection Float . Utterly delightful ....

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Not a rod I've heard of but those Aspindales tips are amazing, so fine I wonder how they managed to put them together. I'm sure that rod would be a delight for small river trotting.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a new one on me too. A late rod by Peter Aspinale, then. It might be a one-off special build, perhaps for a youngster?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends ,this model is on my wish list,these rods are impossible to find let alone buy.Reelmaker

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Thanks chaps... I'm rather chuffed with this rod, it's a lovely thing. Had it together in the garden earlier and was trying different reels on it. My favourite reel, a 3 1/2" Ariel Popular, didn't feel right, too big with the rod being so small and light. Tried a little Mitchell 408, much better, light and well balanced. Would really like a pin for it, but a 3" Popular would be a bit pricey, if one could be found... Any suggestions welcome.

Nobby, that's a possibility I hadn't considered. You may well be right.

Reelmaker, do you have any further information please?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends, I like the Aspindales hollow built 10-6" rods ,they do seem so light and well balanced,but they are hard to find,I had a Swiftdale as a first rod and I should have kept it ,it would be 54yrs old now! as for reels I have a part finished 12 spoke Ariel here at work ,but I dont think I will ever finish it ,if so it wil be on the mantle shelf.Reelmaker

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”