Aspindale and Sons Severndale.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Aspindale and Sons Severndale.

Post by AshbyCut »

Sold alongside another rod, I couldn't resist this hollow built, 12 ft., Aspindale's Dalesman 12 ft ""Severndale" with original makers bag, at under £30 inc. delivery ... even though the centre section appears to be maybe 2 inches short, and there's a very slight 'droop' in the tip (the vendor made this clear). Better pictures to follow when it arrives ... and fingers firmly crossed that there's no signs of delamination !!!

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Aspindale and Sons Severndale.

Post by Tengisgol »

It's always fun when you have a punt like that AC, good luck! Lovely rods if you can find a good one.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Tengisgol wrote:It's always fun when you have a punt like that AC, good luck! Lovely rods if you can find a good one.
I have a cunning plan, Sir !!! :Wink: (that will probably come to nothing !!!)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

[/quote]I have a cunning plan, Sir !!! :Wink: (that will probably come to nothing !!!)[/quote]

I never doubted you AC and I suspect your cunning plan will deliver something spectacular!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Safely arrived today ... and at just under £25 delivered I'm a happy chappy.

There is no sign at all of any delamination at any point, and all the guides appear to be usable after cleaning up. Generally the varnish and intermediate whippings are in reasonable condition, so as a short term measure I will be able to re-whip the guides and use the rod until a complete rebuild next winter.

Admittedly, the centre section has lost 2 inches at the tip ferrule end, but I don't think that will make too much difference to the action ... and when I think what the cost of a 'perfect' example would be ... well ... !!!

There's a very slight droop in the tip, which will be turned at rebuild time ... and a slight 'kink' at the butt end of the centre section at the ferrule which will straighten out well, I think.

I have to admit that before it arrived I did wonder if the tip section taper was anything like that on the Aspindale's "Avon 892" I have which is 5 inches short ... but they are very different animals, as "Avon" and "Match" nomenclatures would suggest ... so the slim chance of using the Severndale tip on the Avon butt and centre sections to give a full length rod has been consigned to the realms of fantasy.

Surprisingly (to me anyway) ... when comparing the tapers on the tip sections I thought that the Avon would be 'steelier' than the Match ... but when using the micrometer at the same points on both tips I found that the Match goes from .263in (6.67mm) to .138 in (3.51mm) whereas the Avon is from .281in (7.15mm) to .115 in (2.93mm) suggesting the Avon tip is in fact 'tippier.'

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I adore the writing in these rods (as well as the rods themselves, two in part-rebuild mode here at the moment). Well done AC, look forward to seeing some action shots.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Anybody else remember Mal saying he had enough rods and was going to stop buying them? :tea:

Good luck with the project good Sir :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Dave Burr wrote:Anybody else remember Mal saying he had enough rods and was going to stop buying them?
Oh ... don't you start too, Sir !!!!! :surrender: :Wink:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

AshbyCut wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:Anybody else remember Mal saying he had enough rods and was going to stop buying them?
Oh ... don't you start too, Sir !!!!! :surrender: :Wink:
No, don't remember a thing you go and buy them rods Mal
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Well bought Mal

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”