Aspindale's "Avondale" 10ft 6in Match rod

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Aspindale's "Avondale" 10ft 6in Match rod

Post by AshbyCut »

It wasn't my fault !!!!! Really !!!!! It was Chavender, who forced me to like Aspindale's ... and Loop, who said 'buy' ... and QBP who threw temptation into my path !!!!! ((At least ... that's what I'm telling Mrs. AC who is, even now, clutching her head in her hands !!!))

So soon my Aspindale's 'collection' will stand at 3 with the addition of the "Avondale" 10ft 6in hollow built rod.

I have to save up for worms and petrol to get to The Old Estate Lake in July ... so this really MUST be the last .... for now !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed May 28, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Aspindale's "Avondale" 10ft 6in Match rod

Post by Dave Burr »

:Hide: Incorrigible

Nice rod though :Thumb:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Which dense thicket of cane does this one go in Mal? The 20 users or the uncountable fixer uppers?

Poor Mrs AC! She'll be a broken woman at this rate!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

AshbyCut wrote:It wasn't my fault !!!!! Really !!!!! It was Chavender, who forced me to like Aspindale's ... and Loop, who said 'buy' ... and QBP who threw temptation into my path !!!!! ((At least ... that's what I'm telling Mrs. AC who is, even now, clutching her head in her hands !!!))

So soon my Aspindale's 'collection' will stand at 3 with the addition of the "Avondale" 10ft 6in hollow built rod.

I have to save up for worms and petrol to get to The Old Estate Lake in July ... so this really MUST be the last .... for now !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
Until another one turns up tomorrow or the day after etc etc :doh:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The Avondale arrived this morning ... and it's a lovely little rod !!!

Close inspection reveals no problems ... and it will get the same treatment as the Severndale in order to be ready for the new season. It's ram-rod straight ... so I'll keep the intermediates and the majority of the varnish as it stands, simply re-whipping the guides after cleaning them up ... and do a complete strip next winter. This rod's original whippings were black and white twist with black intermediates ... so I'm lucky to have that in my bits box.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They are lovely rods Mal and very difficult to let go of, I have six Aspindales now after recently buying a very nice Swiftdale from Steve at TraditionalAngling.
I too am getting hopelessly addicted.

Wal.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I reckon you need to shift at least one of those Aspindales Wal :Wink:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Don't worry Richard, your name is still on the Avondale.. :Hahaha:

Wal.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

:huray: :huray: :huray: :huray: :huray: :huray: :huray: :huray: :huray: :huray:
Best Fishes
Mushy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Given the same treatment as my "Severndale," this rod which arrived with me 48 hours ago has had the guides removed, nut the intermediate whippings and varnish retained. The guides have been stripped of old varnish and cleaned ... and all have been re-used having no corrosion. I've re-whipped them in place with the same black and silver twist as the Severndale," having turned the tip through 180 degrees, and there is one coat of sealer on all the whippings. The handle has cleaned up perfectly with fairy liquid, warm water, and gentle rubbing with a kitchen sponge.

Two more coats of sealer ... varnish the whippings a few times ... then a couple of thinned overcoats for the entire rod ... and it will be ready for the new season ! Hurrah !!!

Thank you QBP, Sir, for allowing me to own this rod !!!

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”