Making of Walker Net Arms

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Paul Cook
Grayling

Re: making of Walker net arms

Post by Paul Cook »

Hovis wrote:Try a billhook.

http://www.bulldogtools.co.uk/gen/thumb ... medium.jpg

Thats what I am now planning to use.
That will do the job but really anything such as an old chisel , old knife , basically anything of that nature . At the end of the day , keeping costs down is the main thing so anything man enough to take a decent strike from a hammer and is capable of creating that initial split will be good enough .

Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: making of Walker net arms

Post by Mushy »

OK, thanks Paul, reckon I could manage stage 1, but may have to buy a couple of culms just in case :Scared: , not calling Chapmans yet though, lets see what else is required !
Best Fishes
Mushy

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Making of Walker Net Arms

Post by LuckyLuca »

Terrific start Paul, enjoying this!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Yes agreed, and very informative, pitched just at the right level :Thumb:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Really enjoying this already. One question, since price has been a consideration that has to some degree inspired the notion of home building of such a net, how much does a culm cost? Does the blade used for splitting need to be razor sharp to cut the enamel?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

About 8 quid ish from B&Q, thats what I bought for my bamboo float tubes, usually come in about 5 foot lengths
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

I wonder if the B&Q one will be up to scratch so to speak?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Or if anyone is near to a rod maker you could always ask for one as they will generally bin about 50% of culms as any inperfections won't be any good for rod making, I knows that cus Ryan told me so there :Tongue:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Tonkin prices have increased although I havent brought any in for a while now due to having quite a stock but perhaps culms could be shared in price , one culm will do two people ?
The B and Q stuff I am not so sure . It is bamboo and will have power fibres and who is to say it will not be any good for this project but I know nothing about it to comment . As I said before , it doesnt have to be tonkin , watermole used Green heart and I should not think that it wouldnt matter if it was made from oak or ash laminated .

The splitting tool does not have to be razor sharp as long as it has an edge and will withstand a sharp tap from a hammer .

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I now have found a B&Q culm from my garage loft space and intend to use that one to practice as shown above.....as PC rightly states, the object here is to keep the costs down and have some fun along the way following this "guide" that has kindly been provided and see what we all end up with at the end....

I know that a certain TFF member has today driven over to a particularly famous lake in France and has taken his Walker "style" net that he just made with him........Grrrrrrrrr.............envy envy envy....Ha !

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”