Aero Wizard No. 906

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Hexapin
Bleak

Aero Wizard No. 906

Post by Hexapin »

I haven't seen another blog about this model so I thought I would put mine up here in case anyone is interested.

Its a No.906, the later model I believe and the stronger rod. There is an earlier Aero Wizard No.306. Similar I believe to the Allcocks Wizards in that the earlier versions were a lighter rod.

Its in mint condition and may have been refurbished. Or certainly re varnished. Other examples on the net show them as a lighter cane with the allcocks coloured silk. My silk seems a little darker more like a b james crimson.

It feels like a very strong rod suitable for a strongish flow and lower double figure carp or barbell. It does feel a little tip heavy and not necessarily an ideal trotter, that may be remedied by adding the reel, or a balance weight to the butt.

I haven't fished it yet but that will soon change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Aero Wizard No. 906

Post by AshbyCut »

That looks splendid, Sir !!! A new one on me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Lovely rod Hexapin so would say better the allcocks wizard I think the handle is about 20" which is longer than the allcocks version and balances the rod much better in my opinion.
Bumble

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A hollow built Wizard then. I have never heard of this model either. You do have some very nice rods Russ. :Hat:

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There was another version of this rod built by Tom Watson of Nottingham, the tackle dealer. I'm not sure if he got permission or what but he actually called it the Aero-Wizard.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Nobby wrote:There was another version of this rod built by Tom Watson of Nottingham, the tackle dealer. I'm not sure if he got permission or what but he actually called it the Aero-Wizard.
Hi Nobby,
I believe that many of Tom Watson rods were actually made by Aspindale. That would account for the use of the Aero name.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Bob Brookes wrote:
Nobby wrote:There was another version of this rod built by Tom Watson of Nottingham, the tackle dealer. I'm not sure if he got permission or what but he actually called it the Aero-Wizard.
Hi Nobby,
I believe that many of Tom Watson rods were actually made by Aspindale. That would account for the use of the Aero name.
Bob
That’s interesting as I have a Tom Watson “the midge” whole cane butt and mid with split cane tip. It makes a nice trotting rod but feels outgunned on fish bigger that 3lb ish. To be honest the transition from split cane and whole cane is a little rough and the “bend” isn’t smooth although it’s a lovely rod. I have been after a few Tom Watson rods but they are few and far between.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a pretty old thread there, not from The Path but from an earlier forum with the owners permission to keep it alive on The Path.

I don't know now how much of that Gloucester Old Spot would hold firm to now...he might feel otherwise these days, he might not.

The first Aeros were rods in the Aerolite range...long slim hollow-built rods with very through actions. The Aero Wizards were a bit different...fairly substantial whole cane butts that provided a fairly rigourous backbone to light flexible upper rods. Heavier still were the Aspindale Avon rods.

They all look much the same to the casual observer, but vary considerably. Comparison is made all the harder as these thin-walled hollow-built rods can be a bit fragile and consequently there are few around now. A good one, with no delamination of the built cane strips is a very special rod, made all the more special by its rarity .

I was once absolutely transfixed to realise that the Aero 894B, the uber-rare 11'6" two piece rod, was almost identical in action to an early John Wilson Avon rod. I'd imagine two peope who really knew what worked in their eyes, arrived at the same action, in very different materials some 45 year apart....

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

Thats a great story. I agree thats fascinating. Im a big john wilson fan, i known hes an acquired taste but hes a master none the less and certainly helped keep alive some of the more traditional forms of fishing such as trotting and classic ledgering.

My wizard is definately a beast compared to my others aspindales. My avondale is more like a match rod and my kirndale a sublime two piece plus separate handle. Incredibly light, beautifully balanced with through action but with a real crisp power to it. I think its going to be an amazing rod.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”