Avon Perfection

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Harnser

Avon Perfection

Post by Harnser »

Pardon me for blundering in unannounced! I am in the process of turning my study full of odds and ends into useful fishing equipment rather than dust collectors. I have an Avon Perfection which appears to my uneducated eye to be in pretty good condition apart from the butt ring where the agate has chipped. Could anyone recommend a repairer who would undertake such a small job? I'm afraid my ham-fisted attempts would spoil an otherwise fine example.

Many thanks

Haydn Clarke

Re: Avon Perfection

Post by Haydn Clarke »

It might be better if you give your location, Harnser.

Harnser

Post by Harnser »

Norfolk or London depending. Would be happy to deliver if required.

PS I'll fill profile out!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Would you not like to have a go at replacing it yourself?

Whipping on a new ring is not too bad a place to start with rod restoration, and you can always practice on a pencil.

Probably the hardest thing will be finding the right ring and silk, though you may be of the opinion that total accuracy isn't too important, and I would agree with you....though it does affect resale value and that is a pretty valuable rod.

If you don't want to attempt it and no one near you can help you might ask Chapman's in Ware, Herts.

If you can upload an image of the damaged ring we might be able to source one for you.......?

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Welcome to the forum Harnser.......good luck with your venture. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Harnser

Post by Harnser »

Thanks guys. I would prefer the 'authentic' repair as it were to maitain its integrity, plenty of other bits of stick to practice on when I have the time!

Enjoying the rest of the forum by the way, refreshing change from most of the cynical postings on ther sites.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Hi Harnser - good to have another Norfolkian aboard! I think the chaps have answered your question pretty well - but I wanted to add a suplemental: has anyone ever heard of replacing an agate/ glass lining without removing the ring? I haven't - but I have a customer who is keen to do just that and avoid removing the original eye and whipping.

Jim

Harnser

Post by Harnser »

That would be good if it were practical. The ring and whipping is fine. I wonder whether a repair could match the colour/finish of the current (original?) whipping. I'll try and post some pictures over the next day or two for interest.

Harnser

Post by Harnser »

OK here are a few photos of the rod in its current condition.

Harnser

Post by Harnser »

.... and of the damaged ring

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”