Coxon Aerial in action.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Badger1
Roach

Coxon Aerial in action.

Post by Badger1 »

Thought you guys might appreciate these photos of a 4spoke Coxon Aerial in use with a new Andrew Davis - FWK Wallis Tribute.

Image Image Image

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Coxon Aerial in action.

Post by Mark »

A lovely reel there Badger. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Give any collectors a worry :-). Got to use them!

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Wowee, Badger ! That first photo is something else, I love it ! :wave:

Which river is it, just out of interest ?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dare I ask whether the Coxon is genuine or a replica?

EDIT: Just read your other posts and have now seen your Facebook page and have answered my own question.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Are they no good then, Paul? You'd think he'd have only bothered with decent stuff.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

If century-old Ebonite can cope with the tension of barbel-tightened nylon, spread over just eight pillars, why are makers not still using it? Nicer to the touch than metal, on a January day.

Or to put it another way - that reel was designed in the days of silk lines that don't stretch under tension and were [supposed to be] wound off and dried after each trip, so they shouldn't shrink when drying. Isn't a lot being asked of Lady Luck to risk it with mono, notorious for bursting the spools of the first generation of reels with which it was used?

I know if Fate ever took me to a charity shop wherein lay a Coxon, I'd use it, but I'd scour ebay for a spool of terylene ("Green Butterfly", for preference) and limit my ambitions to chub!
I admire your determination to use, rather than collect, Badger, but cowardly bits of me clench apprehensively when I look at those photos. (Tasty rod, too, by the way!)
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Vole wrote:If century-old Ebonite can cope with the tension of barbel-tightened nylon, spread over just eight pillars, why are makers not still using it? Nicer to the touch than metal, on a January day.

Or to put it another way - that reel was designed in the days of silk lines that don't stretch under tension and were [supposed to be] wound off and dried after each trip, so they shouldn't shrink when drying. Isn't a lot being asked of Lady Luck to risk it with mono, notorious for bursting the spools of the first generation of reels with which it was used?

I know if Fate ever took me to a charity shop wherein lay a Coxon, I'd use it, but I'd scour ebay for a spool of terylene ("Green Butterfly", for preference) and limit my ambitions to chub!
I admire your determination to use, rather than collect, Badger, but cowardly bits of me clench apprehensively when I look at those photos. (Tasty rod, too, by the way!)
An interesting point. I would like to do a test to see what the force applied to the pillars is when the rod is pull around to it test curve loading. I wouldn't think it would be that great....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

...but it would be multiplied by the number of turns.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I thought that too, Vole. But Weyfarer pointed out, on another forum, that a large fish cannot be reeled in with a centrepin without pumping the rod and he suggested this would mean that the line would not be under as much tension as first imagined when it went onto the reel.

I did ocurr to me that the tension would be relayed to the line when next you pumped upwards and surely that would affect the recently spooled line too?

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”