The Gemina Centre Pin, whats the value and performance?

The Other Reels forum.
Boris.The.Barbel

The Gemina Centre Pin, whats the value and performance?

Post by Boris.The.Barbel »

Hi Chaps

i have managed to obtain a pair of 3 1/2" " The Gemina " Centre Pin trotting reels with aspool width of approx 1/2 inch. Each reel weighs approx 300 grms.
Made by T.J Harrington & Sons Ltd of Walton on Thames, they are marked " Made in England " They are from the same stable that produced the "Omnia - fixed spool reel", the "Invicta" and the "Little Kraka" around the 1950's.
These are from an English maker, the spools run freely and the ratchetts are positive. Both have the full line guards and all screws and handles are original.
The centre spool cork arbours are complete and in very good condition.

just wanting a little more information on these reels also value performance etc.

thankyou for your time any contribution would be appreciated cheers CP

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Gemina Centre Pin, whats the value and performance?

Post by Mark »

I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out Boris, welcome to the forum by the way. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Welcome aboard Boris :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Boris.The.Barbel

Cheers Mark + Snape, pleasure to be here, couldnt believe there was a forum with relation to the old / traditional style of angling, very pleased
And im sure someones got some info :D

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Boris.The.Barbel wrote:Cheers Mark + Snape, pleasure to be here, couldnt believe there was a forum with relation to the old / traditional style of angling, very pleased
And im sure someones got some info :D
Yes there are plenty of us who like the trad ways.....
Sorry I can't help with the reel but there's loads on here who know all sorts.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Yes welcome to the forum Boris. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Scott Thompson

Post by Scott Thompson »

As for value i paid £1.80 for mine in March last year, there was one on ebay recently that went for around £6 so its not going to be worth a fortune.

I've also looked around but found very little information http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/gene ... e-pin.html that thread was more or less all i could find.
Last edited by Scott Thompson on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They also made the GAT gun, a sort of telescopic loading air pistol of very poor performance, apparently and the Maxima...a centrepin so vast that one turn retrieved 14 inches of line. I was nearly blinded by the first and caught my first carp on a 'pin with the second.

Chris Yates fished with an Omnia for a bit, but he didn't hang on to it.

Boris.The.Barbel

Hi again everyone cheers for the welcome's and infomation

i got the two for £20 posted on ebay, just thought you couldnt pass up another center pin or two for the collection :wink: haha

For my regular reel i use an okuma kennet not very traditional but a very nice reel indeed, thought i may use one of the gemina for my carp stalking set up and see how it fares:D.

Thanks for the information you've managed to scrape so far chaps, not always about value, performance is the key; but by the sounds this isnt very good on these reels :O

They are 50 + years old, gained a few decades but no history ! always time to make some hey :thumb: maybe a perfect Gudgeon reel (Haha) wont put too much strain on it

thanks again CP

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I rather enjoy fishing with some of the .....er...dodgier old tackle....everyone thinks I'm mad anyway, so I have nothing to lose.
476.jpg

This is my old heavilly modified Maxima. I ran the Stroft line off the top as the reel is so huge. Pretty small, the carp is a wildie from a local drain that no one thought contained any fish anymore.

You may have read Maurice Pledger's book, 'While my float is still cocked'? In it he writes of deliberately going barbel fishing with one of those horrible Hungarian reels we all had as a kid. It worked.....just.

I say go for it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nobby on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Reels”