First time on the Kennet

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
ExeAngler
Chub

First time on the Kennet

Post by ExeAngler »

Good afternoon Gentlemen. It is my 45th birthday next Friday and I am thinking of a days fishing somewhere a bit special or different. I was considering a days Sea fishing, but it is a long way for me to travel and I do not fancy the upper Bristol channel. So, I am thinking of travelling from Wiltshire down the A4 and giving it a day at the Old Mill, Aldermaston. My 7 year old son will be coming along to keep his Dad company on his birthday.

Does anyone have any advice on fishing it for the first time? It will probably be a day after Small to medium fish to keep the little chap interested with, hopefully, plenty of bites.

Any information would be most welcome.

I am happiest on the float and will fish the lead if required.

Thanks

Andy

Flickem
Minnow

Re: First time on the Kennet

Post by Flickem »

If you are after small stuff, maybe try the slower canalised section above the main weir. The weir pool of the small weir can also be produuctive.

Kev Parr
Perch

Post by Kev Parr »

Do ask if Peter (Arlott) is about - if he is, then he will put you on fish. Really lovely man and knows the river as well as anyone. He looks after the water and is there most days.

Flickem
Minnow

Post by Flickem »

Agree with Kev. Peters yer man.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Took a walk around yesterday afternoon, as my wife and I were having a day out at Silchester Roman Town. The Old Mill is a Lovely place, in fact, one of the best pieces of river I had seen for a long time. 4 guys were fishing, 2 in the weir pool and 2 on the lawns?. Only small fish had been caught but it was very warm and about 1 in the afternoon.

Definitely/Maybe going to fish it some time, although not this week. The weather is not looking good so may fish closer to home and the traffic will be busy coming back from London on Friday.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Hi Andy if you fancy a day on the Kennet with me sometime I would be happy to meet you and get you a guest ticket for my local club Newbury. There is good Chub,Barbel,Oerch and Roach we have about 4 miles of the Kennet just above Aldermaston Mill.
Bumble

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Hi Bumble, That would be great. I am a bit tied up in August and September but in October perhaps we could sort something out? The Kennet looks a fine river and a very kind offer from you.

Kind regards

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I used to fish there a lot back in the 90s and fished it a couple of weeks ago with the Gobio society.
I have to say it isn't the place it was for the chub and barbel but if you are after smaller fish then as said the slower section above the main weirpool is good also the end of the run out in the trees of the stream which comes down from the small weirpool is also good for small roach, dace, small perch and gudgeon. Moley had some good dace fishing right next to the wall of the main weir on the right hand side looking downstream.
There is also a small lake which used to be full of small fish and some larger carp but Peter said the otters and cormorants had taken a lot of the fish from there.
It is a lovely place to spend the day.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I had a feeling, after doing some research and speaking to people, it may be riding on past glories. Saying that, it looks a lovely place to spend a day trotting for Dace.

Dollar58
Dace

Post by Dollar58 »

My clubs stretch seems to have less barbel and chub but plenty of dace and roach and overrun with brown trout.

Return to “River Kennet”