Chapmans The Stort.

The Chapmans Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Chapmans The Stort.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Sadly my Grandad, who was one of my favourite fishing partners, passed away a couple of weeks ago. He died doing something he loved, playing golf. And it was unexpected so although it was a shock for me at least he had no idea it was coming.

While looking through his shed today I found a couple of cane rods. One was a spinning rod by Dawsons and one was a Chapmans.

I'm not sure about the model of the Chapmans. From the label I think it says stork, but I could be wrong. It's three piece and looks like a float rod?

Anyone know anything about this rod? Age, what it was intended for, value etc. As always I'd like to learn. I will likely keep the rod to remember Grandad.
Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Chapmans The Stork.

Post by AshbyCut »

I think you'll find that it's "The Stort" MD, Sir,

details are given on the Chapman's website here :-

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=434
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The River Stort runs into the River Lee, not too far from the Chapman's base.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... iver-stort
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

That'l be the Stort MG after the River of the same name.
Never seen one but should be a nice rod. A nice memento to have.
Sorry for your loss.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

You may not like this , but it can be a place where waste or garbage is left! On a gentler note it refers to an Essex river...
:)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Sorry to hear about your loss Jack. Using those old rods will be a tribute to your late granddad and I'm certain he'd like the idea of you getting pleasure from them. But please, Don't go picking up any golf sticks and getting ideas of taking it up.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

A nice looking rod and a good way to commemorate. Sorry for your loss but something to help remember good times.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Our Grandparents are more often than not custodians and communicators of family values and traditions Jack and you are a living example it seems of your Grandad's legacy..it is within you that he will live on as you become the future custodian...and also of his rods which is heartening. The Chapman Stort is a rare rod and something to treasure as you come to terms with losing him in the physical sense.
My condolences Jack
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Re: Chapmans The Stort.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks everyone for the information. It was very helpful.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

GazTheAngler

Re: Chapmans The Stort.

Post by GazTheAngler »

Sorry to hear of your loss Jack. I'm sure the rod will give you a lot of good days on the bank.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”