Brings very back some nice memories when I last fished up at loch knaw :Ok:

Stuart

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Broadwood loch roach

Post by Vole »

Wow! Lovely fish.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

My mate fished at loch naw for a week last September Thames but he never got a fish,4 of them.seemingly it contains some beauty's mate.whats your biggest from it and what were your tactics,is it bait and wait?
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Ian wrote:My mate fished at loch naw for a week last September Thames but he never got a fish,4 of them.seemingly it contains some beauty's mate.whats your biggest from it and what were your tactics,is it bait and wait?
To be onest Ian I had a nice time up there and let's say it was just nice to be fishing in Scotland in beautiful surroundings but unfortunately that was about it,
In the two days that I fished it I actually had 104 roach all on the Polaris float and balling in cloud bait with added fine gravel to the mix to get it down through the depths,

The biggest roach where no more than about 6 oz's, was rather disappointed in the size of the roach but for numbers was brilliant so couldn't really complain :Thumb:

This was several years ago :Hat:

Stuart

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

104 roach is as good as one can ask for in a days roaching.pity the 2 or 3lbrs it is renowned for didn't put in an appearance Stuart but as you say lovely scenery down there.i think that would be Dumfries and Galloway.still a good 2 and a half hour drive for me and it must have been 8 or 9 for yourself.all part of the experience I suppose.loch Lomond at balmaha in July is the place to be if you can one day Stuart.the loch runs to 700ft deep and just short of 25 miles long.the north end is the deep part and the south is where it shallows.come April the pike make there way from the deep water to the shallows to spawn.there are pike that could gulp down a 10lb salmon without it touching the sides.google the "endrick pike".the endrick is the river that runs into Loch Lomond.a small river.come may the roach all reach that area just in time for the pike to feast on after the riggures of spawning.the river endrick and that area of the loch suddenly becomes thick with roach and if you catch one roach of a lb+ then you will catch hundreds,that's why you need a week Stuart.the perch chase the small roach in waves,in and out they go and I've watched them,quite a scary sight and again they can go to any size.reports from the early 1900s mentions 7lbrs being common.theres also carp,bream,chub,trout and powan.powan are a protected species that are only caught in Loch Lomond and another loch.sounds like a fishy tale and you must wonder why I fish anywhere else and the simple Answer is,I'm 45 minutes from it and I can go anytime.put it on your bucket list Stuart and you will have fished no greater roach water.thats a fact.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Ian wrote:104 roach is as good as one can ask for in a days roaching.pity the 2 or 3lbrs it is renowned for didn't put in an appearance Stuart but as you say lovely scenery down there.i think that would be Dumfries and Galloway.still a good 2 and a half hour drive for me and it must have been 8 or 9 for yourself.all part of the experience I suppose.loch Lomond at balmaha in July is the place to be if you can one day Stuart.the loch runs to 700ft deep and just short of 25 miles long.the north end is the deep part and the south is where it shallows.come April the pike make there way from the deep water to the shallows to spawn.there are pike that could gulp down a 10lb salmon without it touching the sides.google the "endrick pike".the endrick is the river that runs into Loch Lomond.a small river.come may the roach all reach that area just in time for the pike to feast on after the riggures of spawning.the river endrick and that area of the loch suddenly becomes thick with roach and if you catch one roach of a lb+ then you will catch hundreds,that's why you need a week Stuart.the perch chase the small roach in waves,in and out they go and I've watched them,quite a scary sight and again they can go to any size.reports from the early 1900s mentions 7lbrs being common.theres also carp,bream,chub,trout and powan.powan are a protected species that are only caught in Loch Lomond and another loch.sounds like a fishy tale and you must wonder why I fish anywhere else and the simple Answer is,I'm 45 minutes from it and I can go anytime.put it on your bucket list Stuart and you will have fished no greater roach water.thats a fact.
Wow, that is absolutely mad,

After reading that it's making me wanna get myself up there :drool:

Cheers for the info Ian, definitely now be going onto me wish list :Thumb:

All the best

Stuart

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”