a table spoon.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
St.John
Tench

a table spoon.

Post by St.John »

What? I hear you cry.... Well, a table spoon whipped onto the landing net handle is THE best clip to hold the folds of the net up all proper tidy like, and unlike 'proper' clips, drops the net every time, without fail when you net a fish! Heath Robinson I know, effective, yes!! St.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: a table spoon.

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Genuis mate, I remember you showed me when we met last. Thanks for reminding me, can't believe I haven't done it yet!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Yeah, I'm putting together a kit now.... Should be on the shelves by Christmas... Kit contains 1 table spoon, 10 yards of whipping silk, instructions. All for the bargain price of 49.99. I can't fail!!!

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

st.john wrote:Yeah, I'm putting together a kit now.... Should be on the shelves by Christmas... Kit contains 1 table spoon, 10 yards of whipping silk, instructions. All for the bargain price of 49.99. I can't fail!!!
Wouldn't a dessert spoon be sufficient? Or even a tea spoon? Could be made detachable for those essential tea-breaks.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Well, through years of research and development the table spoon was deemed best as It disengaged the net successfully every time, and there was less chance of the angler taking off the landing net handle to make tea with, and therefore guaranteeing a bite. Then without your trusty spoon holding the folds of the net up you would really be in the mire. Wouldn't you. St.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Good point, well made.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I thought so too! Ho ha!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

When I was a kid and short of cash we used to cut the handles off them, drill a couple of holes, 1 swivel and 1 treble hook, cheap pike kit. Far better than the commercial option too, in my honest opinion, because they were heavy. The new stainless spoons are probably more shiny, but I'm not sure they have the weight.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

My Dad once showed me a few of those 'spoons' in his collection MGs, Mum would've killed him. :D

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Probably still possible cheaply. You can often pick up old spoons cheaply at car boot sales. Not a lot of point for me, there is little of no pike fishing here in the south west
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”