East of Kintbury

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
Goosequill
Dace

East of Kintbury

Post by Goosequill »

Hello Miss,

The Midwinter Madness episode of A Passion For Angling is probably my favourite episode of the series. I have no idea how many times I have watched it over the years.

I remember taking a train journey years ago and I just happened to look out of the train window at the precise moment I went over the bridge where Bob caught the monster Roach and Chris tackled a monster snaggletooth - I couldn't believe it, there was the hut on the bank and the weed rack.

Anyway, years later and thanks to the maps on the interweb, it is fairly easy to track that down:

I wondered if any of you fine people have fished this stretch and if so what was it like?? It appears to be to the east of a place called Kintbury.

Cheers

Chris

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: East of Kintbury

Post by Bumble »

Yep I was born in Kintbury and know the area well fished the weed rack many times where the pike came from and the Roach to Bob James my local water is Newbury where on the moors is a swim called the PFA swim where they caught the Perch and grayling .
Bumble

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Are there any decent coarse fish still in those waters do we know (particularly the roach, that was a smashing fish Mr James caught)?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

JAA

Post by JAA »

Bumble wrote:Yep I was born in Kintbury and know the area well fished the weed rack many times where the pike came from and the Roach to Bob James my local water is Newbury where on the moors is a swim called the PFA swim where they caught the Perch and grayling .
Bumble
I always thought it looked familiar. That explains it.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I fish the section below the railway bridge in the picture and have done so for some years. It joins the K & A Canal lower down to form a running pound.

The canal upstream and past the sewerage works is also down to our Society. Then Kintbury Angling then the Civil Service AS to the inlet from the R. Kennet. From that inlet downstream the Close Season is still in effect. Upstream they are no longer running pounds so no Close Season.

There have been rumours about the pike and that they came from the R. Avon at Longford. Unwanted as most pike were by the Keeper there!

i

Kev Parr
Perch

Post by Kev Parr »

I have been fortunate enough to fish the stretch once or twice.

It was good for perch a few years back, but little sign of any roach, and the last time I visited the perch seemed to have gone as well.

A few chub still about, and pockets of small fish, and plenty of trout and pike.

The hut is iconic, but has seen better days.....!

Rusty
Ruffe

Post by Rusty »

I have been lucky enough to fish that estate on a few occasions during winter. I’ll never forget the first time, I headed straight for the weedrack and just stood there in awe of its history. On the second occasion I took a friend, he cast out a deadbait by the rack while I made a cup of tea in the hut. His float went under and for a few moments we were re-living Bob & Chris’s antics, the pike weighed only eight pounds or so but those few seconds will stay with me forever. This was 30 odd years after APFA was made and so the hut and the rack were rotten (I wouldn’t have dared to try crossing the river), the rack has since been taken down and replaced with a modern bridge which makes both banks accessible without a very long walk. I don’t think I’ve ever fished at a location with so much ‘atmosphere’. As regards fish decent perch, pike and chub are still there and although the roach are no longer prolific dace have made a welcome return with 10oz + examples being achievable, rarely hear of barbel being caught though.

Have a look at this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=7320

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The big roach, 2lbers plus, were removed from below the railway bridge and relocated elsewhere some years ago. The roach are yet to recover but fish nearing 1lb have been caught more frequently in recent years. Chub are present but not in great numbers as are the pike & perch.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Grade 2 list that hut and someone put some WD40 on that hinge.

Forgive me for being APFA geek, but isn't the labelling on that picture slightly off? When Chris "sleeps in" he crosses the fence next to the hut to confront Bob, so the pike swim would be on the railway side. He also retrieves his dilapidated old pike rod from against the hut and fishes with the weed rack on his left. Then Bob fishes in the narrows above the weed rack for his roach. Or have I read that wrong?

Either way, would love to visit.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

No you are not wrong - as far as I can see. Bob gets snapped off below the weed-rack nearer the train bridge (downstream) and then gives the swim to Chris to try for the pike that did it! The roach came upstream of the weed-rack. All pictures in the video from the true right bank when looking downstream at the railway bridge!

Following morning Bob catches the 2 pike below the rack nearer to the bridge.

The bridge supports are downstream on the weed-rack - ie against the pressure of the flow.
Last edited by Olly on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “River Kennet”