Ever so 'umble: the Allcock Aerialite

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Ever so 'umble: the Allcock Aerialite

Post by Nobby »

I kind pal gave me a few of these the other day and I was surprised how well made they were. I'd assumed they were pretty naff, but they turn easily and the Allcocks Guides suggest they sold in huge numbers for many years.

Reading through the Guides it seems they were offered from 1934 through to 1951, when only the 'boy's version was continued.

But the real rarity is the 'centrepin action' version, Catalogue no. 8926cp, ....seemingly only offered from 1934 until 1939. Here is one with its brown box, the three-screw Slater latch mechanism might be the same used in the last of their wooden reels. It spins easily for over 30 seconds....a better man than me might be able to Wallis cast with it......

In 1936 it cost 10/-6d....52 p. in today's money, where as the basic model 8926 was just 7/-6d....37 1/2 pence now.

This red boxed reel is a post-war model with line guard which cost 27/- until 1950 when the price jumped to 30/-.

The locking bar is not a check, it locks tight to keep the spool on.

There were single-handled, spine-back 'boy's' reels, sea reels and fly reels all in the Aerialite range. Pre-War Allcock used the Bakelite trade name ( it was actually an American invention by a Belgian immigrant in 1907), but post-War they just called it 'phenolic resin', but all reels were made in the UK...I just don't know by who......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

See the part about Bakelite Limited UK, based in Birmingham.....not far from Redditch........

"In England, Bakelite Limited, a merger of three British phenol formaldehyde resin suppliers (Damard Lacquer Company Limited of Birmingham, Mouldensite Limited of Darley Dale and Redmanol Chemical Products Company of London), was formed in 1926. A new Bakelite factory opened in Tyseley, Birmingham around 1928. It was demolished in 1998"

Perhaps they made them for Allocks then?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Ever so 'umble: the Allcock Aerialite

Post by Vole »

Some of the "Centre-pin" ones also have an end-float screw tapped through the central dome; a good one is a real find. The main snag is that they'll swallow a lot of backing before the rate of retrieve is much cop - anyone know a lightweight but fairly incompressible thread for the job?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

How about an old floating fly line taped over then spooled over...?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I've got five bakelite reels, including aerialites. I like them for their looks, but they're also very good pins. Not a fan of the rather chunky line guard, as seen on your second picture, Nobby. Other than the 3 allcock I have two ELO pins as well. I'll keep an eye out now for one of the early ones.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

The first pin I ever saw, my dad had one. I now have my own. Not much cop for trotting, unless the flow is very slow. Fine for a bit of margin fishing.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I love mine, it's my go too perch reel, no need for a long cast when fishing a worm close to structures, must admit never knew the ceased production so early. I'd always assumed it to have been cheap reel from the sixty's or seventy's.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Here is an Allcock Aerialite reel that we have hanging on our wall. It is a fly reel and is attached to an old Milwards Patent line drier. The reel is named on the back plate and also has Made in England.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have had my Aerialite for some time now, for close in fishing in the adjacent Lea it is perfect. I can keep it on a made up rod for quick short sessions. Like your one Nobby it spins well, but more importantly for me it is not prone to rust or warping! I think it an underated reel for close in fishing, not that common either. My pictures are not good but it seems to be the same model as yours, very dark brown. I didn't realise that they were as old as you suggest, but I am happy to have my one! Image Image

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Vole wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:58 pm Some of the "Centre-pin" ones also have an end-float screw tapped through the central dome; a good one is a real find. The main snag is that they'll swallow a lot of backing before the rate of retrieve is much cop - anyone know a lightweight but fairly incompressible thread for the job?
Use adhesive cork tape from a cycling shop.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Nice thread Nobby!
I also have one with the slater type front. As said above they make great still water reels.

Pics for reference.

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”