Matching color thread for MKIV

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

Matching color thread for MKIV

Post by Leon Hoogendijk »

Hello to everyone,

I'm restoring a B James Richard Walker MKIV (year 1957/58) with burgundy color whippings. Some of the guide-whippings have to be redone. Which today available silk (and size) would match the original burgundy whippings best?

Thank in advance for your help.

Leon Hoogendijk

FRANCE

St.John
Tench

Re: Matching color thread for MKIV

Post by St.John »

Are you re-doing the whole rods whippings or just the rough ones? I got some silk from chapmans a few years ago that was pretty close. Or else try pipers silk but depending on how you varnish it the colour match will be trial and error. I'm sure some of the more knowledgable members will point you in the right direction
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Welcome Leon,

Try Gudebrod garnet, I've just replaced a few rings on my Mark IV, its a good match. Before the varnish goes on don't be alarmed that the thread looks purple'ish! It settles down nicely with a coat of varnish.

Wilts Traditionalist

Post by Wilts Traditionalist »

Hi Leon,

I know that the original colours were Burgandy, but I had mine refurbished in Grass Green which just seems to add a certain something to the rod.

In fact, all of my cane rods are done in the same colour and I think my Wallis Wizard looks fabulous like that.

Good luck though in finding the burgandy colour that you want.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Although most of the MK IV's were whipped in crimson (appears burgundy with age) green-whipping was sometimes used. It is believed that this was due to nothing more than than 'Jimmy' James running out of crimson silk. Most of the rods DW made himself were green-whipped with a couple brown-whipped (including the one believed to have caught the 44lb'er) and the odd crimson one. As far as know none made by DW had intermediate whippings.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

Thanks for the advice Tadpole. Does Gudebrod only do one size? If not, what size should I look for?

Leon

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Leon, I stripped and re-ringed my B. James Mk IV (years ago) and I was advised to use Gudebrod A 206 (which is Garnet, I think), which worked out very well. I'm not sure if this is still available, but I'm sure that someone on here will know.

Forgot to say, "A" is the size of thread.

Had a quick search - Hopkins and Holloway list it here

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think Size A is the same as 30, which I used to think meant 30 turns to an inch, but it's definitely finer than that.

Certainly I've just been using some Fish Hawk 30, which is also shown as Size A, in garnet as well, and it's very fine indeed. In truth I find the stuff ruddy hard to work with...getting the lighting just right helps to avoid either gaps of jump-overs.

In case you are tempted, I wouldn't recommend Fish Hawk, it fluffs up at the slightest scratch, but I'd say their garnet was pretty close on to the B.James thread.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Hi Leon

Welcome to the forum, hope you find the info you require.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

I've got hold of some "Nett Silk 368 Avon Maroon", 80/3 denier, which should match perfectly I'm told.

Has any of you used that before?

Leon

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”