Sourcing brass threads

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Sourcing brass threads

Post by Loop Erimder »

Does anyone know where to get brass threads from for making landing net handles and bank sticks etc?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Weyfarer

Re: Sourcing brass threads

Post by Weyfarer »

Loop Erimder wrote:Does anyone know where to get brass threads from for making landing net handles and bank sticks etc?

3/8 BSF is what you need. This was discussed at length on PP, in the lower of the two search boxes, type in 3/8 BSF: http://www.purepiscator.com/forum/defau ... search#0|5

Try ebay and also have a trawl through your local trade directories for old fashioned ironmongers who sell stuff loose and not in infernal blister packs.

BerwickBrook

Post by BerwickBrook »

I'm in the process of making a net / bank sticks and found this site:

www.modelmakingsupplies.co.uk

they sell 12" lengths of 3/8 BSF brass threaded rod (studding ) for £4.50.

If they sold 1" to 1/2" diameter tonkin cane I'd be really over the moon - does no one in the UK have any? :think:

To my knowledge you can't buy internally threaded brass bar ( for the above to thread into)

It is relatively easy to make your own if you have a pillar drill/basic lathe and 3/8 tap. If not, a small precision engineers shop should do it for a tenner.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

BerwickBrook

Post by BerwickBrook »

yes, tried them. I'm waiting a call back from a week ago - I asked whether the smaller section poles were tonkin or moso and they weren't sure. I believe the moso has quite flat sections above the nodes as oppossed to the tonkin which has a more uniform round section right along the culm length.

Have you had anything from them?

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Not yet I was hoping to purchase a few lengths of some sorts to make landing net handle

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Have you tried a rod maker - Andrew Davies?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Didn't think of that, will bear that in mind

BerwickBrook

Post by BerwickBrook »

have just had a chat with Andrew - very nice chat, and very helpful...but he says sourcing suitable cane for landing nets is really difficult at the moment. He says most cane supplied is 2" + (as chapmans advised too). His best batch of cane he found at a garden centre - about 1" to 11/4" but its all gone.

i think my next bet is to raid the local arboreteum - they've got some lovely stuff in there. how long would you season it for methinks

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Chapmans? Edward Barder? Norman Agutter? Brough? Luke Bannister? Jason White?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”