Tackle shop Pall Mall

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Tackle shop Pall Mall

Post by Phil Arnott »

I have a nice starback which is stamped but unfortunately the stamp runs off the edge of the spool. The maker/retailer looks like it starts with an "M" and ends with "ces" the address is 83 Pall Mall.

Have any of you knowledgeable gentlemen come across this?

Tigernuts
Ruffe

Re: Tackle shop Pall Mall

Post by Tigernuts »

Hi just a quick one Hardys and Farlows both had shops down pall mall in the late 50s/60s..farlows at bottom Hardys at top right hand side going up ....

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi , The only one I can find is Mc Kenna no dates or exact location in Pall Mall but a class address, may well be general sporting goods retailer . Tony

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There doesn't seem ever to have been a commercial property at 83 Pall Mall. It was Lady Ranelagh's house, in 1809 the Crown's and then it was knocked down in 1911 when the Royal Automobile Club extended over the demolished building there. So effectively since then, number 83 no longer exists.
Here is the history of No.83 from the day it was built:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/surve ... /pp367-368

I wonder if the number might possibly be wrong?

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi, Just to add to my reply of yesterday. Telephone directory 1938 lists Kenna (later Kenna & More) Fishing tackle dealer, 8 Crown Court, Pall Mall SW1.This does not seem to exist as a post code and my have suffered bomb damage WW2 .For your consideration !! Regards Tony.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Having had another good look I think the "M" may be an "A" and the stamp may be "Anglers" or "Angling" services.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

OK, this may be stretching things a bit but I love historic mysteries and so I went back to the War Office days of the address.

One of the elements of the War Office back then was the Directorate of Army Medical Services. It's the only element of the old War Office that had the word "Services" at the end and the only element to combine "M????? Services". It does make me wonder if someone working there prior to 1906 made use of an official stamp to mark their reel. I suggest this because to me it looks as if the stamp was made after the reel was manufactured, it looks like an afterthought.

I have several reels with scratches and other marks clearly added by the owner with purpose. It's not a leap to imagine someone using an office stamp.

However, if the first letter is an A, then I'm sunk!

EDIT: I meant to add Phil, have you tried rubbing in fine chalk, charcoal or graphite to see if it picks out any of the letters more clearly? Making a negative with plasticine might also be worth a try.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

After a bit of digging I found this...

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... f700259c67

Russ

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Luga00 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 am After a bit of digging I found this...

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... f700259c67

Russ
That's a fine bit of digging, sir :Hat: Though it does rather add to the mystery! What odds the War Office ran a tackle supply services for Officers?

Scratch my musings!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi , This thread gets better and better for the inquiring mind. Angling Services Ltd is listed in the 1938 Post Office Directory at 33 Duke Street,St James, S.W.1.so which side of this date were they trading at Pall Mall ? Any offers Tony.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”