Float winders

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Troydog
Tench

Float winders

Post by Troydog »

I have been fishing the slider on the Wye a lot this Autumn / Winter for trotting down the inside. But I watched a video from the Amateur Anglers website - a chap called Richard I think and he was very persuasive about the 'shirt button' style of shotting for stick float fishing. He made the point that you can use this approach to fish at different depths by the amount and frequency with which you hold the float back.

With a slider the bulk shot is down the line and a tell tale number 4, is placed just above the hook link. You are more or less fishing at the same depth all the time, although you can move the stop knot. So the idea is that we should make up winders for different float fishing rigs, just like the match men. In fact another stick float video by Jamie Robbins suggested the same, purely to save time in the match.

I am intrigued to know whether any TFF members choose to use winders or not.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Float winders

Post by Olly »

I have but very seldom. When float fishing I prefer to make up the rig using the main line on the spool rather than from a winder unless it would be for a short pole/whip.

One reason is if you join your float wound on a winder there are two additional knots - if you use the loop to loop method. So 4 knots instead of two when using a separate hook length!

I never want to lose a float so keep it on the mainline and use a lighter hook length.

So float on mainline together with shot then micro swivel (esp using maggot to prevent line twist) with hook length is the way I go.

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Wooden winders have been used for hundreds of years.
I have a lot with the original float rigs still on them. In fact I was thinking of giving a few of them an outing before the Closed Season.
Yes winders ar a brilliant way of storing ready made rigs, ready shotted within reason means more fishing time.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Yes I put my stick floats on winders. I make the rig with the same strenght line I have on the reel and use a lighter hook lenght .
If you have to pull for a break the hook length goes first getting all the rig back and the float.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have a marvellous winder that I made here and was very lucky when Robbie in Northern Ireland made a leather case for it.

I make up rigs for‘smash and grab’ sessions, when I literally have an hour and a half fishing on a Sunday morning before my lad’s football match, purely to save time.

The downside is that the set up is never quite right. I often feel like the float I want to use is still in the box and not made up on the winder, or perhaps not the correct hook size. However, it works as a worthy compromise to get me fishing where otherwise I might not.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Being a sometimes pole angler I use rigs stored on winders... regarding losing a float, if you set up the rig with shot and float on a shortish rig, then you can move the float above the knots to fish and not lose a float should the rig become snagged.. of course the short rig does limit ones shotting patterns on running water, or fishing "on the drop" but setting up rigs on winders is always going to be a bit of a compromise.

and regarding not having the right hook size on the rig, I always tie rigs without a hooklength, (just a small loop at the hook end) so I can add the hook I need on the bank... then it's just the matter of adjusting the hook length to suit :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Harry wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:55 am and regarding not having the right hook size on the rig, I always tie rigs without a hooklength, (just a small loop at the hook end) so I can add the hook I need on the bank... then it's just the matter of adjusting the hook length to suit :Thumb:
Always an option but trouble is that, when the clock is ticking and often I have only an hour, that just takes precious minutes!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I've made a couple. As I fish the same few waters regularly, it is fairly easy to know what rigs are going to be required. Therefore, I usually have 3 or 4 rigs ready made, with different shotting patterns but with the floats set at the depths I want. I find it easier to set the shot, particularly the small sizes, like No8 at home on a table, rather than on the bank. My eyesight isn't what it used to be.
Winders also make for a quick change of rig, to change tactics of if you get snapped up.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Yup... I too have had to rush setups due to time constraints... I used to set rods up the night before with the rigs ready to go and if I was on a certain bait I'd even set that rig up with the hooksize needed to match the bait I would be using... that way all I had to do was put the rod/pole together plumb up and bait up and be fishing...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

An excellent thread of replies thank you gentlemen. My instinct has always been with the first post from Olly - a worry about too many knot. Also I usually fish 3lb Maxima mainline on the reel so I have always thought the float on the winder would be on a lesser breaking strain and then the hook link on a lesser strength line still. Too complicated.....

I think I'll stick with my slider for the heavier water that is on the way. But I now have a second Purity reel courtesy of the good offices of TFF, so I could rig that up with a stick float. I usually carry the rods made up; I have never had a pole so that is probably why I haven't used winders before. Mind you perhaps I should get a pole?!?!

As for the time issue, it shouldn't be a problem these days with this semi retirement business......thank you all again gents.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”