One off - Big Bertha

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

One off - Big Bertha

Post by Badger1 »

Well TFF’ers. How we all doing? Well I trust?

I’m going to fill the tinter-web up with some more sh*te now and promote Andrew’s work further, I know….how tedious .

On a number of occasions last year Andrew and I were fishing and the topic of my next rod kept coming up. Throughout the season there were some amusing debates on the river bank at what to go for, a long float rod, a heavy duty spinning rod, a classic taper? I personally kept half-jokingly banging on about beef’ing up ‘Opochtli’/Senior Wallis Avon to a 13’ beast. Andrew’s reaction was somewhat reserved to start with and then the conversations would go around to the potential problems which could occur i.e. wholecane not good enough quality, sourcing lined agates rings, would it weigh too much or be top-heavy, hollow building the splitcane to an extreme could affect the feel and action of the rod. After few months, well since the late summer, Andrew started to come around to the idea and come the end of the year he was game to give it a go.

The SWA (Senior Wallis Avon) taper was altered and extended to 13’ and various bits of the rod started to be gathered. Two suitable wholecane sections were found in a massive bundle of Andrew’s stock. One piece was very stiff and had a good wall thickness but it was about 3” short so some extension/spliced piece would have to go onto it for at the end of handle, which is far from ideal. The other piece was the correct length and good wall thickness but not quite as stiff. After some debate it was the second piece was decided upon. I took up a couple of vintage rods which were going to be “donors” for agate rings, a nickel-silver bar stock was ordered by Andrew to make the ferrules, reel bands, & cap. Plus a couple of spools of copper for the ferrules and some whippings.

Come December I left Andrew to crack on with the rod, so Big Bertha was born:
BB_1.jpg
BB_2.jpg
BB_3.jpg
BB_4.jpg
BB_5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Badger1
Roach

Re: One off - Big Bertha

Post by Badger1 »

BB_6.jpg
BB_7.jpg
BB_8.jpg
BB_9.jpg
BB_10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

BB_11.jpg
BB_12.jpg
BB_13.jpg
BB_14.jpg
BB_15.jpg

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

BB_16.jpg
BB_17.jpg
BB_18.jpg
BB_19.jpg
BB_20.jpg

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

BB_21.jpg
BB_22.jpg
BB_23.jpg
BB_24.jpg
BB_25.jpg

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

BB_26.jpg
BB_27.jpg
BB_28.jpg
BB_29.jpg
BB_30.jpg

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

BB_31.jpg
BB_32.jpg

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Last Sunday Big Bertha was taken out for the first time to a rather swollen river Dove. Considering the conditions I was very pleased to land this chub from under a load of branches/flotsam. It was a bit of bullied flight if I am honest, Big Bertha bullied the chub out from its lair.
BB_33.jpg
BB_34.jpg
BB_35.jpg
BB_36.jpg
BB_37.jpg

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

that is amazing!! well done :)

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Wow, that looks a beutiful beast, i bet it will stop a train :Wink:

Love the rod in the making shots from Andrew :Hat:

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”