Mk IV SU

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Mk IV SU

Post by Mark »

Does anyone own a stepped up Mk IV and what are they like as opposed to the standard Mk IV carp rod.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Re: Mk IV SU

Post by J.T »

I don't but have been on the look out for one for ages so would also be interested to know what it is like compared to the standard MKIV.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Same but heavier. Not so nice to use it must be said, but better than the standard model for big fish near snags.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for that GOS.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Yeah cheers for that G. :)

Think I will stick with the standard one (maybe get another at some point) and try and avoid the snags. :wink:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

J.T wrote:Think I will stick with the standard one (maybe get another at some point) and try and avoid the snags. :wink:
Like wise JT
Mark (Administrator)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The original B. James MKIV was 1.5lb test curve whereas the stepped up had a 2lb test curve.
I think B. James increased the t.c. on their later versions of the standard MKIV.
I have an early model with the onion topped handle and a later 'doughnut' topped handle.
The later one is much heavier and I think it is 1.75lb t.c.
I don't use the heavier one much and save it for weedy fishing at Redmire.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I think the design tc of the stepped up MkIV was 2.25lb - at least, that's what you'd get if you uniformly increase the taper of the standard 1.5lb rod by ten percent and re-calculate the deflection. The later MkIVs seem to have a tc of between 1.75lb and 2lb (mine's nearer the latter) so I suspect the later stepped up versions to be somewhere in the order of 2.5lb. A late MkIV is not much less of a rod than an early S/U.

What is most noticeable about the stepped-up version is the weight of the thing. The B James versions of the regular MkIV were already heavier (in weight) than Walker's original, mainly due to the use of split cane all through. There's a clear ounce and a half difference in weight between my B James carp rod and another MkIV I have (Paul Cook restored it for me) which has hollow whole cane below the corks, visible through the butt cap thread if the button is removed. I had another un-named (possibly a J B Walker kit) MkIV type rod once which also had the whole cane handle (I re-corked part of it) and that too was noticeably lighter in the hand, though measurements of the cane were inconclusive as to whether it was a MkIV or a MkIV Avon; it seemed to be something in-between.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

So, how would I find out the test curve on my rod, in other words whats the best way to do it.
Mark (Administrator)

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I think the best way is to tie your main line to a spring balance and pull the rod upwards until the rod is curved at 90 degrees, then check the balance and there is your test curve, needs two of you .......I Think!!! :think:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”