Dick Walker and Ravioli

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Dick Walker and Ravioli

Post by Aitch »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:23 am As a youngster I remember seeing Ravioli in The London Zoo, as I lived not too far away. It was a special capture for so many reasons, how time has flown!
That is what first fired my desire to fish for carp :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It's that time of year again. :cheers:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

Aitch wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:01 pm That is what first fired my desire to fish for carp :Hat:
I too remember looking through the glass at this fish in London Zoo as a small boy, a dream was ignited. A couple of years ago I caught a 45.08 common after returning it to the lake all I could think of was that fish in the zoo all those years ago.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

To Richard - an astounding capture that still resonates today.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I am probably just one of very many who have read Walker's account of that capture dozens of times and without doubt it inspired me to acquire a Mk IV and go fishing. Indeed that capture still resonates today. :Hat:

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Legendary among anglers. I’ll raise a glass to the guvnor this evening.
Russ

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Today it’s another year on since Dick caught his record carp that changed the face of angling. There are still some copies of the book Dick Walker-The Legend available that was published to commemorate his Centenary. Dick gave us so much covering not just carp fishing, but all aspects of coarse fishing. His five rules in Still Water Angling are as important, today as when they were first written, if you want to catch good fish. Long may Dicks memory live on.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Martin James wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:10 pm Today it’s another year on since Dick caught his record carp that changed the face of angling. There are still some copies of the book Dick Walker-The Legend available that was published to commemorate his Centenary. Dick gave us so much covering not just carp fishing, but all aspects of coarse fishing. His five rules in Still Water Angling are as important, today as when they were first written, if you want to catch good fish. Long may Dicks memory live on.
1. You must locate your fish.
2. Avoid frightening the fish.
3. Use the right tackle.
4. Choose the right time to fish.
5. Use the right bait.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

As I usually do on the date of the capture of Dicks 44lb carp, I read the account of the historic event. Today’s carp anglers come and go, I don't know what the current record is and I don't care. The 44lb carp caught by Dick is still fondly remembered by many.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

The advantage that Dick and those from the same era had was the element of the unknown

OK he gave her a name- but any sizeable fish now has a name, list of those having caught it, inside leg measurement (!) Etc etc.

I am glad to have fished for carp in the 60s when a bit of mystery was left

Return to “Dick Walker”