We've become inspirational...

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Stathamender
Tench

We've become inspirational...

Post by Stathamender »

...if The Guardian is to be believed https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gal ... n-pictures. We are the new style icons. Does this mean that the banks are soon going to be crowded with avid hipsters anxious to consult us on our daywear choices? Will we be deluged with invitations to oversee forthcoming menswear lines at major labels (I'm holding out for Armani)? Will Dick Walker, Fred Foster, Ivan Marks and Billy Lane be added to this list https://www.gq.com/gallery/cary-grant-p ... -slideshow? Will I finally get to meet Kate Moss when she drops by the Plumpers stretch on the S&T canal to check out the styles?

I think this calls for a gallery of how we do our fashion choices, while engaging in our favoured leisure pursuit, to offer guidance to those so anxious to emulate us. Get those photos up here guys, a nation holds its breath in anticipation.

BTW, in case anyone here was thinking of taking up the recommendations in The Guardian you might care to note that in the first picture the belt alone costs £50 and the total outfit comes to £720. Presumably the G didn't print the prices to avoid heart attacks among readers. Note that the tackle is provided, of course, by the never-knowingly-underpriced Orvis, supplier of choice to angling's equivalent of fashion victims everywhere.

How are we going to break it to them that the final touch is a subtle but pervasive and enduring perfume of a mixture of ground bait, bream slime, maggot sweat and worm juice (another reason the nation holds its breath)?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: We've become inspirational...

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Clobber for posers not anglers :tea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

It would seem that fishing will (hopefully not) go the same way as shooting (in the context of the fashionistas) - looking absolutely ridiculous and standing out like the veritable uninvited guest whilst being superbly crap at what there doing - and following suit I suppose the after event meal and claret will make up for those not having any idea whatsoever - but this maybe the vacuous point in it all.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

In summer I don't go fishing without my lucky shirt ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:13 am It would seem that fishing will (hopefully not) go the same way as shooting (in the context of the fashionistas) - looking absolutely ridiculous and standing out like the veritable uninvited guest whilst being superbly crap at what there doing - and following suit I suppose the after event meal and claret will make up for those not having any idea whatsoever - but this maybe the vacuous point in it all.
:clap: :Hahaha: :Wink:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Wal.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:38 am Clobber for posers not anglers :tea:
As long as you avoid Hoxton you won't see people dressed like that.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Isnt it funny how nonanglers hold fishing rods. The clothes mustve been specially made for the model. Orvis stuff comes in all sizes from super large and up.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I recall an episode of Inspector George Gently where he went fishing. He did have a centrepin but it was positioned right at the bottom end of the handle and so the rod was completely unbalanced. Incidentally, Lee Ingleby (DS Bacchus), a Burnley lad like myself, is in a series of dramas currently on Netflix called Criminal and is very good in it.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Most of the Hipster types are just being Trendy or Fashionable... anglers wear tweeds moleskins and other sensible accoutrements as they are practical and hardwearing... mostly :Thumb: :whistle:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”