The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

Post by Olly »

I have 2 rods restored by Paul some years ago - again with no paperwork. Although he - I hope - would recognise his own work, which is excellent.
So if it came to selling I would be in the same position!

Hyrsch
Minnow

Post by Hyrsch »

Pallenpool wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm ...
Lars
It’s the most direct route certainly and Paul would most definitely know if he did the refurb.👍
[/quote]

Hi Pallenpool,

thank you for the suggestion. After getting to now the seller a little bit better i was sure that it was all true what he states about the history of his tackle.
So I took the leap :Beg: and ...
bought a beautiful example of a Chapman Hunter. :huray:

It's in a stunning condition, after the job Paul Cook had done on it, it might even be better than it was when once new.
AND I was lucky enough to get a "brown Version"! I like the red ones, too, but I think this colour-type is an interesting one!

The seller is an absolute Tradition Fisherman living here in Germany and having to sell lots of his items due to some unforeseeable circumstances I would rather not share here, but he is a very friendly human being giving me lots of insight in his angling life.
I hope to give at least this piece of his collection a worthy home, planning to spend lots of time on the water, trying to catch some nice Tench and chub on my local river.

I'll add a few pictures!

ImageImageImage
To fish is to live, it’s as simple as that!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Hyrsch wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:21 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm ...
Lars
It’s the most direct route certainly and Paul would most definitely know if he did the refurb.👍
If
Hi Pallenpool,

thank you for the suggestion. After getting to now the seller a little bit better i was sure that it was all true what he states about the history of his tackle.
So I took the leap :Beg: and ...
bought a beautiful example of a Chapman Hunter. :huray:

It's in a stunning condition, after the job Paul Cook had done on it, it might even be better than it was when once new.
AND I was lucky enough to get a "brown Version"! I like the red ones, too, but I think this colour-type is an interesting one!

The seller is an absolute Tradition Fisherman living here in Germany and having to sell lots of his items due to some unforeseeable circumstances I would rather not share here, but he is a very friendly human being giving me lots of insight in his angling life.
I hope to give at least this piece of his collection a worthy home, planning to spend lots of time on the water, trying to catch some nice Tench and chub on my local river.

I'll add a few pictures!

ImageImageImage
[/quote]

Hello Lars,
Indeed that looks a very fine example of this cracking rod. I also have a feeling I know this seller - if so - he indeed has many canes and a few certainly have been refurbished/restored by Paul. A lovely rod in top top condition - I’m glad to hear your going to use it sir.
Best
Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That looks a very fine restoration indeed Hyrsch :Hat:

Hyrsch
Minnow

Post by Hyrsch »

Greentura wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:01 pm …. I hope to be in contact with John Chapman and will ask what the 'SP' and 'NL' mean :thumb:
I am not sure if anybody found the answer so far, or if John Chapman provided any, but I found a Chapman Ledgerstrike rod where the NL is actually written like N. L. .

I would take a guess, not knowing too much about Chapman history, and would think that these might be the initials of the responsible rod builder at Chapmans!?

Does anybody have the answer or did I just not read the Forum thoroughly enough?

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Hi Hyrsch!
I am unsure if anyone here found out the meaning of SP.....I, too, would be happy to find out.

"NL" meant "New Look" - introduced in the 1962 Chapman brochure. Here is the page:

I am uncertain if Chapmans ever had any rod builders other the the founders, Ron and his brother, and Ron's sons, John and Brian, of whom you know. I would think it unlikely that they would have put a builder's initials on a rod.

I, too, favour the brown version. Mine is dark chestnut tipped with scarlet. Very smart indeed.

Mike

Hyrsch
Minnow

Post by Hyrsch »

Barbelbonce wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:01 pm Hi Hyrsch!

Mike
Ah, That clears things up !
Thanks a lot!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Barbelbonce wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:01 pm Hi Hyrsch!
I am unsure if anyone here found out the meaning of SP.....I, too, would be happy to find out.

"NL" meant "New Look"

I am uncertain if Chapmans ever had any rod builders other the the founders, Ron and his brother, and Ron's sons, John and Brian, of whom you know. I would think it unlikely that they would have put a builder's initials on a rod.

I, too, favour the brown version. Mine is dark chestnut tipped with scarlet. Very smart indeed.

Mike
Mike I think you'll find SP stands for "Standard Pattern" ..

As you can see in the pic below the NL was cheaper than the SP to buy.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Banksy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:33 am
Greentura wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 pm
... I am toying with building a 15' version using the butt and mid sections of a 14' with a FJT roach top section to get the extra length and having a screw in weight to act counterbalance, I have a jerry smith rod with this system (16,18&20' different weight for each length) which can be held all day due to the balance being so good.
Could that be Anglers' World Holidays Terry Smith of Sheffield and his "Scandinavian System" ?
I came across Terry many years ago when I was fishing the River Guden at Resenbro. That man could fish!
I was so impressed with his 20' rod and the ease with which he could handle it, thanks to the huge brass counterweight on the butt, I bought one when I got home.

One of my friend uses the 16' version for fishing the feeder. There you go. :Chuckle:
Yes, same guy, I used to book my trips to Ireland with him for the Killykeen open and others, great log cabin right by Lough Erne last time I went, in the days when 100lb of bream and hybrids was a bad day

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”